Thread: insecure erasing

Default insecure erasing

Hey Pepi, thought I would make you aware of this convo on another forum. Just for information purposes only, to put in the back of your head

http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5481

Hmm... I recently read that the number of passes is actually an old thing, more than one pass not necessary on modern hardware. Probably because drives got more accurate and are not leaving track so much (plus some paranoia even in old times).

The big issue to overcome these days is not the overmriting patterns, but the journaling of file systems plus features like the volume shadow service.

Wiping the free space as well after cleaning files is getting a necessary step, not sure right now what can be done about VSS.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

"fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:"

WinXP SP3 seems to be fine with out any journaling.

I agree with the need to wipe free space from time to time. Not just for security reasons, but it also cleans out cluster tips and other things that remain behind. So this is kind of link a defrag to this part of the operating system. Much like "NTREGOPT" NT Registry Optimisation, cleans the registry some and compresses it to the smallest size it can be. Small foot print. YOu really only need to do this 3-4 times a year and it keeps stuff running nice and sweet.

So I use Eraser cause it cleans the tips. Occasionally wipe the free space. The cluster tips is verified and cleaned, make it as small as possible. Do all this and then defreg the HD when done.

A small question.
    Quote Originally Posted by wk357mag
    So I use Eraser cause it cleans the tips. Occasionally wipe the free space. The cluster tips is verified and cleaned, make it as small as possible. Do all this and then defreg the HD when done.
    wk, are you referring to the option "Erase Unused Space" when you right click the C:\ drive in My Computer (Eraser installed)?

If I recall correctly... files are not really emptied when you remove them from the Recycle Bin, but merely the reference of it from the machine... however it is still stored in a hidden partition of the fixed drive. (How did I do [my guess]?)

If so, then "wiping the free space" would be to wipe the unused space (partially used to store our deleted files from the Recycle Bin)?

-Brings this thread back to life-

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    A small question.

wk, are you referring to the option "Erase Unused Space" when you right click the C:\ drive in My Computer (Eraser installed)?

If I recall correctly... files are not really emptied when you remove them from the Recycle Bin, but merely the reference of it from the machine... however it is still stored in a hidden partition of the fixed drive. (How did I do [my guess]?)

If so, then "wiping the free space" would be to wipe the unused space (partially used to store our deleted files from the Recycle Bin)?
    Yes I am refering to this option. I cant speak intelleganty on this topic, as I just dont know.

Sorry I cant be more help here

It's alright. Thank you again for your contribution.