Thread: Question on Immunized listing

Red face Question on Immunized listing

There seem to be double entries in the SB list on the immunize page. Can someone help me figure out what this is.

There are two entries right next to each other on the page for these items with one showing all protected and the next showing the same number Not protected.

item Not protected protected total
    default cookies 0 193 193
    default cookies 193 0 193
    default images 0 10082 10082
    default images 10082 0 10082
    default installations 0 10082 10082
    default installations 10082 0 10082
    default popups 0 10082 10082
    default popups 10082 0 10082

So what does this mean? Is the protection there or not?

System: W2k, OutPost FW, Nod32 AV

Also why does Immunization run every time you click on that button? I thought it wanted you to tell it to immunize before it did anything. That was the way it used to be. And that made it a lot easier to see what was immunized.

On the positive side:
    btw I am glad to see that the unfortunate move to automatically load that huge hosts file as a protection mode has been removed. that was a bad move since a lot of people use hosts as a way to assure certain IP are cached for fast use and use localhost 127.0.0.1 for accessing them. Like tunnels.

Gluten

My first guess would be that there are two user accounts (or used to) on the machine. Are there two accounts on the machine?

When the click the Immunize tab, it merely checks the status of the Immunization, nothing further. It is only when you click on the green cross that actually immunizes.

Can you try Immunizing over the current one and see what happens?

drragostea,

Ok, thanks for looking at this. I will do that as you suggest & post back.

This machine has 5 user accounts. Each of which shows as being immunized in the rest of the list. It is just the top ones where I see the "not protected" items. But only this main one ever really gets used.

Not sure about other installations. FireFox is the main browser. IE is only there because "it came with" and was needed for MS updates.

drragostea,

OK, I did the click on the green "+" sign. And it stayed the same. I still have the two lines per FF entry. And the total of unprotected items, as shown in teh upper right corner of the gray band, matches the sum of those lines.

Haven't even logged in as any of the other users for ages. All program additions are only done thur my main administrator level login. And I see only 1 Mozilla FF entry when I look at the add/remove programs control panel.

any ideas?

Gluten79

Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

spybotsandra,

Thanks for your reply. The version of SpyBot shows to be Version 1.6.0.30

Gluten79

Hello,

You seem to be using a dated version of Spybot-S&D.
    Please download our current version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2. That should fix it.
    You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spyybot

spybotsandra,

Ok, I can do the update. Thanks for the suggestion. Generally I try to stay at least one version behind the "latest" unless there is a compelling bug fix in the "latest". Do that as kind of s "self-protection" measure. 'Cause I never want to make it a habit of being the one who finds that last bug in a new version. The same as why I never do the Black Tuesday Windows updates until Friday.

But I will plan to do the update as you suggest, and do it by downloading the 1.6.2 and then the install.

If I remember right there was, some time ago, an issue of SpyBot wanting to add a ton of stuff to the hosts file. At first, I had a hard time stopping that. Since I use the host file, I can not have it become bloated or be another blocker.

Is this still an issue? If so how, do I handle that on an update?

thanks
    gluten79