Thread: Is it safe to disable teatimer?

Default Is it safe to disable teatimer?

Hi, please can anyone give some info about whether it is safe to disable the teamtimer application? The reason I have done so is that I was getting fed up with warning messages about changes to the registry popping up everytime I tried to install new software. I had about 15 messages pop up simply when upgrading to the latest Adobe reader. Not being very technical I almost always hadn't got a clue about what any of these messages meant. I simply went by the rule that if I was installing software from a trusted source then I would allow the changes and if messages were to pop up for no reason then I would disallow them. But still was none the surer that I was doing the right thing. Will I still be protected by Spybot if this functionis disabled?It also seemed to be hugging alot of system resources and slowing down my computer.
    Any advice would be greatly apprecitated
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sean1970 View Post
    Hi, please can anyone give some info about whether it is safe to disable the teamtimer application? The reason I have done so is that I was getting fed up with warning messages about changes to the registry popping up everytime I tried to install new software. I had about 15 messages pop up simply when upgrading to the latest Adobe reader. Not being very technical I almost always hadn't got a clue about what any of these messages meant. I simply went by the rule that if I was installing software from a trusted source then I would allow the changes and if messages were to pop up for no reason then I would disallow them. But still was none the surer that I was doing the right thing. Will I still be protected by Spybot if this functionis disabled?It also seemed to be hugging alot of system resources and slowing down my computer.
    Any advice would be greatly apprecitated
    Sean

Hi Sean,

welcome to Safer Networking Forums.

If you de-activate Spybot's Tea Timer, your registry won't be protected any longer against Malware that wants to change some entries there. But the immunization of your internet browsers is still activated.

Tea Timer needs 55 MB RAM on my pc. On your computer?

If you have questions, let us know.

Best regards,
    -Matt-
    Last edited by Matt; 2009-02-09 at 18:01.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1970 View Post
    The reason I have done so is that I was getting fed up with warning messages about changes to the registry popping up everytime I tried to install new software.
    Feel free to disable it anytime you want (Spybot>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident. And yes, you'll be protected even with TeaTimer disabled (just leave Immunization enabled).
    whether it is safe to disable the teamtimer application
    Security is always good, but it's up to you to decide whether it's "good" to leave it active or disable it.
    But still was none the surer that I was doing the right thing.
    (First quote) You can always disable it. The rule of thumb is good, but if you do not know what is happening you can always choose to disable TeaTimer.

Spybot's TeaTimer will take around roughly 35-55MB of RAM like -Matt- said. Newer machines made today have resources that are more than enough for TeaTimer to function. With 512MB on a P4 processor, it is more than enough to run TeaTimer with no problems.

Ok, thanks for your replies guys