Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spybot vs. McAfee

I have to agree with what bitman said.

For my personal experiences...the 1st 2 used computers that I bought...one had Trend Micro on it....the other had Norton...and even though I had SpyBot on both of them....I was constantly getting eaten up by viruses.

So then I decided to run only SpyBot....as looking at the various types of viruses and spyware it had listed....it just seemed to make sense.

Since I went to just SpyBot....I've only had one virus in the last 3+ years....and that was because of a combination of my not having my Adobe updates in order....and a serious security Adobe / Java security issue.

During the past 3 years I have set up 5 other folks with JUST SpyBot....and they have had NO virus / malware problems.

I DO have to state though that I make a few tweaks in both my IE Explorer....and I also have limited Startup items tweaked using msconfig.
    Last edited by rivermandave; 2010-01-29 at 00:07.

Question

I have had Spybot in the past but it started taking forever to load and sometimes wouldnt load at all. The long horizontal green band would just stay stuck in the middle of my screen.
    So I uninstalled and tried reinstalling from this link:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html
    After the download my McAfee popped up with this warning (below) from HackerWatch. I decided not to install until I find out why I got that warning.
    Why did I get a warning from McAfee?

Application Information
    Potentially Unwanted Program
    This program has been identified by the HackerWatch system as potentially being unwanted. Please make sure that your virus scan software has the latest updates and run a scan.

File Information
    File Name: spybotsd160-beta1[1
    File Size: 690688
    File Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\is-J326B.tmp\
    Version: 51.49
    First seen: 6/5/2008
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    Notes:
    This program may be vulnerable to security attacks.

Hello,

I wonder what you did donwload.
    This version that you have donwloaded "File Name: spybotsd160-beta1[1 "
    is not available on our homepage.
    The actual version is version 1.6.2 which you will find here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank You! for the link! It worked fine this time. I went back to try and find the link where I found the other download from and cant find it yet. I did start at safernetworking.org but pretty sure I strayed into some other site from there if that makes sense.

If it was a spoof site, it was identical as far as the program itself, the logo, everything. If McAffe hadnt alerted me, I wouldnt have known any better.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by MsD52; 2010-02-04 at 00:15.