Thread: Real quick question

Default Real quick question

When up-dating to the latest version of spybot,,is it necessary to uninstall the older version first,,,thanks.

Not necessarily. But it is recommended.

Well, what are you referring to? The upgrade via internal updater (Spybot-SD) or the .exe installer?

I'm not sure what your asking,,it was the new version that was included with todays updates,,I didn't un-install the last version,,I just let the new version install itself,,

I was referring to, when you upgrade how did you upgrade? Via the updater or the .exe downloaded from your browser?
    I didn't un-install the last version,,I just let the new version install itself,,
    That is fine too.

Thanks,,no need to further respond.

I installed version 1.6 a couple weeks ago thinking it would go over the previous version. But I just found out that 1.5.2.20 was still showing up in the add-remove programs folder of Vista. So it seems you should uninstall before installing.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

SnickerDoodle:

The format of the add-remove program entry was changed so that hopefully the problem should not reoccur in the future. Instead of identifying the uninstall information by the program name it is now identified by GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)".

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Tools » Uninstall Info and delete the old entry.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.