Thread: Anyway to remove Host Files causing problems

Unhappy Anyway to remove Host Files causing problems

I did not realize that you had to remove immunizations and disable teatimer before uninstalling S &D. It appears that the Host files created are not allowing me access to my e-mail, which contains ads. I did have S &D set up to block ads from ad.yieldmanager.com. Now- after uninstalling S &D I am getting a window asking me to allow Res://ieframe.dll instead of http://ad.yieldmanager.com It doesn't matter if I click yes or no- Cannot get to my e-mail inbox.
    Can someone please tell me what to do? Thank you.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Momof1:

Actual I do not believe that the problem you are encountering is because of entries added to the HOSTS file by Spybot. However, to reset your HOSTS file to Microsoft's default HOSTS file:
    • Download HostsXpert from the following site:

The page for HostsXpert is:

The direct download URL for HostsXpert.zip is:
    • After downloading HostsXpert.zip, unzip (extract) the content of the file into a known location.
    • Execute HostsXpert.
    • If the first button in the left hand pane is "Make Writeable?", click on the button.
    • Click on the "Restore MS Hosts File" button.
    • When you receive the following confirmation dialog click "OK".
      • Confirm
        Press OK to Restore Microsofts original Hosts File
        [OK] [Cancel]

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

DO NOT listen to me Momof1 as md usa spybot fan has much more knowledge, based on his position, his join date plus post count.

md usa spybot fan isn't it easier to use the original file located in \system32\drivers\etc ?

Spybot S&D creates backups. Those files are not removed during un-installation. The first backup should be the original file.

or just creating a txt-file hosts.txt

adding a line
    127.0.0.1 localhost

saving it and the remove the extension

EDIT: I also don't believe that this problem is caused by the host file.
    Last edited by bastik; 2009-02-13 at 22:09.

Unhappy What could be causing this, if not Hostfiles?

Can anyone offer a suggestion what to do then, if you don't feel this is something blocking in the Hostfiles? I know nothing really, about Hostfiles other than what I have read trying to solve this problem. I don't know what else to do to fix it. Can you refer me somewhere for help if this doesn't have anything to do with S &D? Thank you.

bastik:

Quote Originally Posted by bastik View Post
    ... md usa spybot fan isn't it easier to use the original file located in \system32\drivers\etc ?
    The "original file" is no longer there. Usually there is a copy of the "original file" in C:\I386 if the computer manufacture included that directory on the system.

md usa spybot fan… Spybot S&D creates backups. Those files are not removed during un-installation. The first backup should be the original file. …
    True. But the user uninstalled Spybot and so they can't go into Spybot » Tools » Hosts facility and restore the file.

md usa spybot fan … or just creating a txt-file hosts.txt

saving it and the remove the extension

As you seem to be aware, the actual HOST file has no extension (such as .txt). If you put an extension on the file it no longer works as a HOST file. So I have found that trying to explain how to use a program such a NotePad to create a file without the .txt extension is difficult since by default NotePad creates files with a .txt extension.

Even without Spybot installed, deleting the HOST file and renaming a backup (hosts.yyyymmdd-hhmmss.backup) from Spybot to HOST would work. However this seems to present a problem for some people because the default for Windows Explorer hides extensions for know file types which during a rename leaves the extension.

If you have suggested instructions for restoring the original HOST file (without Spybot installed) that you think are better, I am certainly open to suggestions.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2009-02-13 at 23:29.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Momof1:

Have you eliminated the HOST file as possible cause by restoring to its original state? If you have, we can try to go from there.

Default Stuck in 'loading'

I have gone back & changed the Host file from HostsX back to Hosts. Same 'loading'. Does this information help at all to determine what is wrong?

There are two Comcast versions for E-Mail. The regular one is based on AJAX & XML, while the 'Lite' version is based on HTML. I have used the regular one on both pcs without a problem until after uninstalling S &D. IF I change from the regular version to the Lite version,with the host file as it originally was, I can get into the Lite version, but still cannot get into the regular (full version) as I always have been able to do.
    This is so over my head, I don't know where the problem lies, but since I know that this has changed since uninstalling S &D I am looking for help here.

The url for regular is http://sz0003/wc/mail.comcast.net/zimba/Mail
    The Lite : http://sz0003.wc.mail.comcast.net/zimba/h/mail

Thank you for any help you can offer me.

Momof1:

Quote Originally Posted by Momof1 View Post
    I have gone back & changed the Host file from HostsX back to Hosts. Same 'loading'. ...
    I don't understand. What was "HostsX"? What does "Same 'loading'" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    As you seem to be aware, the actual HOST file has no extension (such as .txt). If you put an extension on the file it no longer works as a HOST file. So I have found that trying to explain how to use a program such a NotePad to create a file without the .txt extension is difficult since by default NotePad creates files with a .txt extension.

Even without Spybot installed, deleting the HOST file and renaming a backup (hosts.yyyymmdd-hhmmss.backup) from Spybot to HOST would work. However this seems to present a problem for some people because the default for Windows Explorer hides extensions for know file types which during a rename leaves the extension.

If you have suggested instructions for restoring the original HOST file (without Spybot installed) that you think are better, I am certainly open to suggestions.
    No, your way is much easier for the average user.

I can't access "sz0003" and it is not blocked by the HOSTS file.

Fire-fox can't access it.
    Internet Explorer can't access it.
    Google doesn't find it. (Google Cache doesn't contain anything)
    Last edited by bastik; 2009-02-14 at 10:07. Reason: modified the word Firefox