Thread: Interesting new feature!

Default Interesting new feature!

Would it be possible to create a script which would automatically convert clamav signatures to work with Spybot? Might be useful for cleaning an infected system...

Good question. Due to the different enumeration approach (Spybot-S&D enumerates its database, AVs enumerate the file system) I'm not quite sure. They would easier work for TeaTimer/on-access scanning than for on-demand scanning I guess.

And an update to advcheck.dll might be needed to support ClamAV patterns, which someone would have to write without violating ClamAVs GPL (means: no copy'n'paste etc. ).

I wrote a plugin that could integrate the ClamAV libraries into the scan engine at some point, but that was just a thing that was fun to play with, not something that could be published/distributed/integrated in any way, because there are dozens, but no clear, opinions on GPL and "dynamic dynamic linking" and more important, it wouldn't be fair probably.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Smile

I'd love to see this feature implemented into Spybot, I think it would help alot.

maybe have a chat with clam av and see if you could get permission to do this or to give you some sort of permissions.
    For the fastest, safest browsing experience get Google Chrome

i would love this to happen

Isn't ClamAV owned by commercial entity? I doubt SourceFire would permit a competitor to compete using their own product?

yes it is but it wasnt originally it was bought buy then and is still open source

Open Source does not say a thing about copyright & licenses

Spybot-S&D is Open Source as well in a restricted way (see II.a. in license), but that does not mean that someone who sees the code may use it.

The ClamAV license is the GPL, which - simplified - means that anything using it in the described way would need to be licensed under the GPL as well. Other permissions would totally depend on the copyright owner.

And I just noticed that the binary Windows port of ClamAV has stopped, no reason given. Which means that dynamically linking to libclamav.dll (dynamic dynamic linking a thing that's not clear in the GPL depending on who you ask) would be impossible as well (not that we would belong to those exploiting this GPL interpretation "hole", just mentioned to complete the information here).

dont forget clamwin http://www.clamwin.com/ & http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/