Thread: Tea Timer 1.6.0.30 not running on XPpro SP3 as User

Default Tea Timer 1.6.0.30 not running on XPpro SP3 as User

Hi, I have run many earlier versions of SBSD with no problems. However this has always been on my home PC's setup with full Administrator rights. This is always a bad thing and I decided I should create a User account with Limited rights.

I uninstalled 1.6.0.30 with Administrator rights and checked the registry was clean.

Then created a User profile, limited rights, logged on as Administrator and re-installed SBSD. The PC was scanned, Immunised and Resident Tea Timer was active and starting up OK on a reboot to the Admin account.

After logging in as User, I noticed the Tea Timer App was not on the startup taskbar and not a running process. Opening SBSD from a desktop shortcut first time produced a re-scan under the User credentials however Resident required Administrator rights. I could assign Admin rights by right click on a desktop link but this wasn't remembered when auto starting the User account.

I have not yet managed to get SBSD to startup Resident TeaTimer when logged on as a User with limited rights.

Please please can somebody tell me how to get TeaTimer auto starting when logging on with User credentials? There are many XP PC's running with User limited rights and I can't believe they can't be protected by TeaTimer, so I must be doing something wrong. I haven't yet found a way of assigning Admin rights to an individual trusted applications in XP, so they run under a User account.

I've tried assigning Administrator rights to Teatimer and SBSD shortcuts in Windows startup folders and still can't get SBSD to auto run TeaTimer under a User profile. I'm beginning to think a registry entry is needed, but prefer to get this working through XP management funtions.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

voxmagna:

TeaTimer must be activated individually for each user. To enable TeaTimer for a user:
    • While logged on to the user account, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode (answer "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Tools > Resident.
    • Check the following:
      • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks, I am now happier SBSD is autorunning under a user account, I don't know how I missed that.

Now there's one other thing. I'm not used to the TeaTimer alert popping up that often, but when I switch logon between a user account and administrator account or back, Teatimer warns 'Winlogon Keychange Default username' Which I accept.

Is this a normal feature of XPpro to modify the registry everytime when changing logon and Teatimer is just doing it's job? It would be nice if this particular alert could be masked to 'accept' if it's normal XP behaviour.

Thanks for helping me get SBSD working now on a User login.
    Last edited by voxmagna; 2009-02-15 at 12:22.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

voxmagna:

Quote Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
    ... when I switch logon between a user account and administrator account or back, Teatimer warns 'Winlogon Keychange Default username' Which I accept.

Is this a normal feature of XPpro to modify the registry everytime when changing logon and Teatimer is just doing it's job? ...
    The change does appear to be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
    ... It would be nice if this particular alert could be masked to 'accept' if it's normal XP behaviour. ...
    Most people would probably agree.

If that behavior is truly normal and there is there isn't any known malware that alters that registry entry maliciously, the alternative to automatically allowing the change would be just to stop monitoring the "DefaultUserName" change.

I normally do not recommend using the "Remember this decision" on registry changes, however I personally believe that you can use a "Remember this decision" – "Allow change" from each user account when you get that particular dialog without compromising the security of your system. That should at least make the change less annoying.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

md usa spybot fan - Great help. I started off totally confused with things happening under User permissions I'd never come across before and I am now fully in tune with what you said.

I have seen issues in other Apps which make me wonder if most XP users (and the App software writers!) just run their PC's as Administrators. You would think Apps which are designed to give protection especially ant-virus could possibly remind that a PC was running under Admin rights. After all, setting up a User account seems the first thing to do if you are serious about PC protection.

Sorry md usa spybot fan, I just remembered that getting SBSD to 'remember' the registry change only works if you reboot back to the same User profile each time.

As soon as you logon as something else you change the key back and up pops the registry change warning in my case. I think what's needed is for SBSD to completely ignore the User key change, if that doesn't compromise the TeaTimer security design. As you said, I can't see Malware making much use of this key.