Thread: 1.6.2 downloaded but not installed (vista)

Default 1.6.2 downloaded but not installed (vista)

after downloading 1.6.2 as part of routine updates, the wizard kicked in but did not complete. I'm still displaying 1.6.0 and can't figure out how to restart the wizard. Is it possible or do I have to uninstall/download 1.6.2 again and install.

I should add, I'm using Firefox browser
    Last edited by pfcooper; 2009-02-15 at 15:30.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcooper View Post
    after downloading 1.6.2 as part of routine updates, the wizard kicked in but did not complete. I'm still displaying 1.6.0 and can't figure out how to restart the wizard. Is it possible or do I have to uninstall/download 1.6.2 again and install.

I should add, I'm using Firefox browser

Hi pfcooper,

welcome to Safer Networking Forums.

Perhaps it would be better that you un-install Spybot 1.6.0.30 .

Therefore, please dis-able Spybots Tea Timer and SD-helper for IE (path: mode > advanced mode > tools > resident), then restart your computer. After that, un-install Spybot and install the new version 1.6.2.46.

Best regards,
    -Matt-

thanks Matt,

finished the re-install, a few unexpected warnings along the way, especially the 740 error code right at the end, but it may just be vista warning, OKed right through it and completed.
    It also requires going back into spybot/advanced/tools/system startup and putting check mark back in Spybot entry. This to get the icon in the startup tray.
    thanks again.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

pfcooper:

Quote Originally Posted by pfcooper View Post
    ... the 740 error code right at the end, but it may just be vista warning, OKed right through it and completed. ...
    In Vista you must elevate the administrator rights in order to install the Spybot-S&D Security Center integration (SDWinSec.exe) which adds Spybot to the Windows Security Center.

Instead of double clicking on the installation program (spybotsd162.exe), right click on it and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.
    _____

In addition, In Vista you must elevate the administrator rights in order run certain things within Spybot-S&D (SpybotSD.exe).

There are several ways to do that:
    • Elevate the administrative rights for a single running:
      • Instead of double clicking (left clicking) to start Spybot, right-click and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.
    • Permanently elevate.
      • If you are running Spybot from a desktop shortcut for example, right click on the desktop shortcut and select Properties.
      • Then go into Application Compatibility and select "Run As administrator".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.