Thread: Need help/explanation

Default Need help/explanation

I have attempted to open a .pdf file from somewhere online. Spybot intercepts the file, scans it, then claims that there is "nothing". Spybot provides me with a "scanning window" which shows the file and shows that spybot has scanned it, but then which claims that it has found nothing-- that is all. I can do nothing with the results, nor find the file in order to open it; nor does the file open automatically after the "scan"; nothing happens. What do I do? To be honest with you, this Spybot 160.exe is far more frustrating to me than it is worth. The previous version was more acceptable. There certainly are a lot of tutorial explanations for things like "what spyware is" but there is nothing explaining my predicament. Please help. I am on Windows 98, SE, with Spybot 160.exe.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

davidcash:

To disable the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" right click context menu feature in Spybot 1.6:
    1. Delete the following registry keys:

Code:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sdfiles
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\sdfiles
      --- or ---

2. Uninstall and reinstall Spybot and uncheck "Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu)" when you get to "Select Components" screen during the installation. The "Select Components" allows you to select "Which components should be installed". The screen presents the following options:
      • □ Main files
      • ■ Icons for starting blind user mode
      • ■ Additional languages
      • ■ Skins to change appearance
      • ■ Download updates immediately
      • ■ Separate Secure Shredder application
      • Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu)
    _____

Not sure if this will work the same way on Windows 98.

To fix the problem and still keep the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" option in the right click context menu try this suggestion posted by matt Humphreys in:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Okay, md us spybot fan, thank you for responding.
    I think you have given me several alteratives: 1) delete the registry keys, 2) uninstall/reinstall/remove IE plugin, and 3) alter folder options to set "open" as a default for that particular .pdf extension.

Deleting the registry keys sounds drastic because it looks as though deleting those two keys would affect the overall performance of Spybot and may disable it completely?

The uninstall/reinstall may be a solution, but I seem to recall that during installation I tried to uncheck several items (one of which was the IE plugin) yet the Wizard manager claimed that I could not do that because the download had already performed installing the very thing that I wish to keep from installing.

I looked at the folder option choice, and decided that that may be worth trying since it is rather simple; however I am curious about this:

In the Spybot's Advanced Mode settings/Tools, there is a section called "Resident". Inside Resident, there are two selections, one of which is: "Resident SDHelper [Internet Explorer bad download blocker] active". This selection is currently checkmarked. (The other selection has to do with a "Teatimer", and is uncheckmarked probably because I defeated Teatimer from my Startup program selections).

Do you know what "Resident SDHelper [.......] active" refers to? It may be possible that this is a referral to the plugin, and by unchecking its box...perhaps a solution?

David
    Last edited by davidcash; 2009-02-17 at 21:31.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

David:

Quote Originally Posted by davidcash View Post
    ... Do you know what "Resident SDHelper [.......] active" refers to? It may be possible that this is a referral to the plugin, and by unchecking its box...perhaps a solution?
    That is not the solution.

"SDHelper" is add on Browser Helper Object (BHO) for Windows Internet Explorer that blocks advertizing URLs, phishing URLs and tracking cookies.

The Windows Explorer right click context menu feature "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" allows the heuristic scanning of files and folder for malware.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.