Thread: formmating/sound drivers.

Default formmating/sound drivers.

hi i have found myself in the position where i need to reformat.

i would like opions on the best way to go about setting up my system once i do so.

i used to install my firewall/anti virius/spyware programs before i installed sp2
    however last time i did this i found sp2 didnt run correctly due to changes in the registry.and halted half way throught alought it did install the clean up op didnt finish.

i read a work around for this however like most m/s pages i found this a complicated procdure witch ended up with me being baffled.

i also would need to reinstall my sound drivers last time i did without till my sisters boy friend installed them,however i cant get hold off him,and dont know how to go about finding them.
    he said somthing about looking at the back off my comp for make model,still not sure as he didnt explian fully.

i wont need to reinstall a sound card as built in to my sytem i dont know how to explian that better,i just know i will need just the drivers.

so in essance would you say i would be best off installing sp1/sp2/sp3 then installing firewalls/ect or vise versa and if vise versa how do i get around the sp2 clean up issiue.and how do i find what sound drivers are installed (make name and where to get them from) or after formatting how do i go about finding where to get them from ect.

hope all that make sense and i get a response.

best wishes et all.

kinos.
    Last edited by kinos; 2009-02-18 at 08:36. Reason: typos

Emeritus

Myself, I do it in this order:reformat, install Windows,(install drivers) then first stop is Windows updates to get "patched", hope you have broadband!

You may have heard the tales of the dangers of connecting to the internet without a firewall/AV etc and how you will be toast within (pick a number) minutes. I have never experienced any of that myself. Just make updates and AV etc a priority before you go surfing.

Next stop is for AV etc. You should leave the sound driver for last. I build my own thats why i have to install at least a ethernet driver first to get connectivity. If you use a recovery/reinstall cd these may all be installed for you. If your lucky windows update may have a driver for your card. If not the first place I would look is a CD that may have drivers listed on it. You can point windows to browse the cd for the needed driver. The computers manufacturers website using your computer name/model number to look for drivers will also be of help.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

thanx.

i do have b/band~without would be well i guess a fair few days to install all the updates.
    thank you for explianing witch way is the best to reinstall.

the sound driver m/soft provides isnt compatilble.
    i cant make a recovery cd as my system has no dvd/cd writer.(burner)

you lost me here~"If not the first place I would look is a CD that may have drivers listed on it."

the make/name/model of my comp is what i need to find my sound driver if i understand you correctly.

thanks for your freely given time to this subject.
    Last edited by kinos; 2009-02-19 at 13:10. Reason: corecting info

Emeritus

you lost me here~
    sorry thats my bad editing job.
    what i mean is: look in device manager to see if your audio device is at the least recognized. if so you can right click on it and select 'update driver'
    A wizard will open, you can select no so it wont check windows update, click next then you can try both other options one at a time:

>install the software automatically
    >install from a list or specific location

for the second option you can check:

'include this location in the search'
    then using the browse button, browse for your recovery partition
    listed as a drive (D)? under the My Computer icon and have a
    look in there for sound/audio drivers

Or may be easier to visit the manuf website and look there under support/downloads based on your make/model
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?