Thread: Spybot wants to scan downloads in my files

Default Spybot wants to scan downloads in my files

When I want to open an email attachment online or even open a file saved on my computer, Spybot now is wanting to scan the file using Spybot (a narrow page pops up with the file(s) and it starts scanning them). I can right click a file and now there is a line giving the choice to 'Scan Using Spybot'. I really only want to use Spybot to scan on demand when I want to manually scan my computer. I do not want it to run all the time while on the internet, etc. It has not always been this way and I must have allowed this to happen during an update. How do I delete it running in the background and wanting to scan my files (where is that setting?)? I try to not install Tea Timer and assume it was not this but maybe? I am using 1.6.0.30 Thanks

Hello,

Spybot version 1.6 had the single files scan in the context menu. But there were so many complaints that we have decided to hide this feature in our new Spybot version 1.6.2.

Please upgrade your program, version 1.6.2 is available!
    Just install over the old version.
    You can download the new version here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Further question

So I now downloaded the new version and did the updates. I again went to email attachments (work related and thus why I prefer to not have the scan going on) and it still wants to scan them. I can not open them without that scan-it won't let me. I also went to My Documents and to files I have had since '04 and the small Scan box opens up and starts scanning them automatically. If I close it out I can not open the files without it starting up again. Not all types of files. Doesn't scan JPG's, Word, etc. but some files with extensions needed for specific work programs (xfd, winmail, etc.). Does this input help to find how to stop this?
    Is there a file setting I can unclick?
    Thank you for any help

Hello,

To disable the single files scan please open the registry editor by:
    (a)
    press windowskey + r then enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)
    or
    (b)
    click on "start" , then "run" and enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)

(a+b)
    and then browse to the following path.

Please delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sdfiles
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\sdfiles

For more information, please take a look into our forums: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30678

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Question How Do You Enable Right Click Scan In version 1.6.2

Version 1.6 had the ability to right click a file and scan with spybot search and destroy, which I used all the time after downloading before I would use the program. How do you ENABLE it in version 1.62? Thanks.

Lightbulb during the installation....

Quote Originally Posted by Brill2087 View Post
    Version 1.6 had the ability to right click a file and scan with spybot search and destroy, which I used all the time after downloading before I would use the program. How do you ENABLE it in version 1.62? Thanks.
    There is a option to enable the right click scanning. It needs to be checked in order to install the right click scanning for users that want it.

Please note though, that the right click scanning is for very small files, such as documents etc. It should not be used as a scanner for something like your external drive.
    Last edited by 129260; 2009-03-20 at 19:48.

Hello,

You have to activate it manually.
    Enter your "Start" Windows panel on the lower left, choose "run" and enter the following command line parameter to activate it:
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDFiles.exe" /register

After that you'll get a notification that the command was successfull executed.

Now you can rightclick on a file and click on the tab SpybotS&D.
    The single file will be scanned.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot