Thread: Scanning Registries & System areas on External Hard Drives

Default Scanning Registries & System areas on External Hard Drives

I do a lot of malware cleanup for friend's and neighbor's computers. I was wondering if it is possible to scan the registry and system areas of drives that are mounted in external USB drive cases using Spybot.

I noticed that you are developing a Spybot ISO image to make CDs, so I would think that remote registry scanning is possible, but I don't want to have to download 600-700 Megs each time I need to clean up a computer, unless I really have to. I know that you used to be able to scan and edit registries using Bart PE plugins, so I'm wondering if it is possible. Thanks in advance.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Puterguy:

You could try using the "/allhives" parameter which will scan all windows installations on your system, even inactive ones. See:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks MD. BTW, why do I have to continually log in again to reply to a message? It seems like the timeout function is set to something like 5 minutes or something on my account. I know I'm a newb around here, but sheesh! TIA.

The time out for a login session is 15 minutes. Not sure why it is like 5 minutes for you. It only times out when there is no activity from the user.