Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bifrose.la found by spybot-HJT Log

Hello Mr_JAk3
    Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate your sharing your expertise and the time you have taken to assist me. I wish I knew how I got that trojan, I am usually very careful about what I download and/or run.

However, your first email to me talked about the issues with trojan backdoor functionality and the possibility the machine may be compromised and that the disk should be reformatted and the OS reinstalled. I decided to get a new PC and give my old one to my wife, after it has been reformatted and everything reinstalled (not by me, I am not that expert, I deal with an independent store that I have bought my PC's from for the last 20 years or so).
    I am using the new PC to post this message. I will be reinstalling Spybot tonight.
    In answer to your question, when I sent my last reply, yes I was still running Norton Internet Security. On this new PC, the vendor has loaded AVG free, which is running right now. I intend to remove it and reinstall Norton, but I wonder if you have any suggestions. I bought Norton because PC Magazine said it was the best for virus and spyware protection.... but it did not catch this bifrose trojan, Spybot did.

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi

You're very welcome.

Okay, reformatting is a good choice. A fresh start.

In answer to your question, when I sent my last reply, yes I was still running Norton Internet Security. On this new PC, the vendor has loaded AVG free, which is running right now. I intend to remove it and reinstall Norton, but I wonder if you have any suggestions. I bought Norton because PC Magazine said it was the best for virus and spyware protection.... but it did not catch this bifrose trojan, Spybot did.
    Norton Internet Security didn't seem to be correctly running in the latest log. (the backdoor possibly did something). I would say that if you've paid for Norton and still have a valid licence - you use it. It is a good antivirus. Just remember to keep it updated and run a full system scan on a weekly basis.

I don't know how you got infected but here are some hints for the future:

These are good (free) firewalls:

These are good (free) antiviruses:

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
    • Clear your system restore
      This will clear the system restore folders from possible malware that was left behind during the cleaning process.
    • Use ATF Cleaner
      Download and install ATF Cleaner. Clean your temporary files & folders with it regularly.
    • Use Ad-Aware
      Download and install Ad-Aware. Update it and scan your computer regularly with it.
    • Use Spybot S&D
      Download and install Spybot S&D. Update it and scan your computer regularly with it.
    • Install SpywareBlaster
      SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
    • Install MVPS Hosts file
      This prevents your computer from connecting to harmful sites.
    • Use Firefox browser
      Firefox is faster, safer and better browser than Internet Explorer.
    • Keep your systen up-to-date
      Visit Windows Update regularly.
    • Keep your antivirus and firewall up-to-date
      Scan your computer regularly with your antivirus.
    • Read this article by TonyKlein
      So how did I get infected in the first place?
    • Stand Up and Be Counted !
      The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.

Stay clean and be safe
    MalWare Removal University - You too could train to help others
    UNITE & ASAP member since 2006