Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avast doesn't seem to like Spybot running on my machine

Default avast doesn't seem to like Spybot running on my machine

Hi there,

I have been reading the forums for the last few months and decided to make myself known by asking for some help in my first post!

I really like using Spybot and have even downloaded the Testing Console to help out the team but I have started noticing a weird issue when I start up Spybot and avast antivirus.

I use avast free edition, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster on my XP SP3 system (all up to date, using Firefox as I type this) and have started to notice that avast will not open when I have Spybot open. To be more specific, avast will get through its “memory test” and Spybot will load at the same time but as soon as Spybot is up and running (latest version 1.6.2.46) avast refuses to open until I close Spybot. Once closed, avast will appear and I am able to use the program as normal.

If I open avast first then open Spybot there is no problem but if I do it the other way avast doesn’t open at all. I have tried to “start” it again from the programs menu but to no avail.

To me this looks like a similar instance of the methods being used by other AV companies to get people to uninstall Spybot.

Now I might be completely wrong here but I can't see why avast doesn’t like Spybot, even if I skip the “memory test” at the beginning it won’t run at all until Spybot is closed…

If there is a workaround to this then I would be happy to give it a try but I really wanted to bring this to the attention of others to see if I am the only one experiencing this issue (I tried a search but couldn’t find any relevant posts)

Look forward to the replies,

Cheers,

Harv

Hi theenigma,

why do you need to open Spybot and Avast at the same time?

Best regards,
    -Matt-

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I mainly open both Spybot and avast when I check for updates, though occasionally I open both when I set them to scan at the same time.

I know scanning with different programs at the same time can cause problems but I have never experienced this issue until recently and thought it would be worth getting in touch.

Normally I set both to scan at the same time on a Saturday morning before having breakfast. By the time I come back both scans are normally complete (standard Spybot scan and "Normal / Quick" on avast).

Hope this is useful,

Cheers,

Harv

Quote Originally Posted by theenigma View Post
    I know scanning with different programs at the same time can cause problems
    So why do you open both if you already know that it can cause problems?

I use Avira Anti-Vir and can open it at the same time like Spybot. There's no problem.
    I recommend to scan with avast and after that with Spybot.

Quote Originally Posted by theenigma View Post
    Normally I set both to scan at the same time on a Saturday morning before having breakfast.
    Almost everybody would tell you, not to run two security tools at the same time.

Which other security tools do you use?

If you have questions, please feel free to answer.

Best regards,
    -Matt-

Quote Originally Posted by -Matt- View Post
    Almost everybody would tell you, not to run two security tools at the same time.
    yeah. doing this can cause the computer to freeze or lock up (or worse cause program crashes between each other or blue screen errors with the OS), forcing you to reboot the computer and clear things up. believe me, I know. I've had some experience with this a few times.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2009-02-27 at 22:40.

To me this looks like a similar instance of the methods being used by other AV companies to get people to uninstall Spybot.
    Lol, avast! is a good guy, so don't worry. I don't have a clue what may be happening right now, but I'm sure this problem won't happen if they are not fired up simultaneously. I haven't tried your method of scanning, but avast! and Spybot-SD sit together with no problems.

In addition to possible lockups and crashes, scanning won't be that much faster when two are running at the same time. In fact it could be slower (and a drain in system resources).

Hi there folks,

Many thanks for the replies, must admit I have never had this many replies in so short a time on any other forum!

Just to pick up on a few points,

Matt:
    The only other security software is use is CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag and JKDefrag. I connect to the web via a firewalled router (Netgear) so I don’t use that much else in the way of security software.

Noel-pr7:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, I must admit this hasn’t happened to me yet but I have learned my lesson with running other software (not security related) together in the past. I just guess I got into a routine with the scanning!
    Drragostea:
    Thanks for the info about avast!, I have been happily using the program for many years since I switched from AVG and have had no other issues like this.
    Having read a few of the “horror” stories about the other companies’ underhand ways of getting users to uninstall Spybot, avast does seem like one of the last few bastions of safe, honest and straightforward protection.

I will have to monitor this situation to see how things progress as I still find it odd that avast won’t completely start up until Spybot is closed… it doesn’t make sense to me even if I'm just checking both for updates (where there shouldn’t be any conflict)

Again thanks for the replies, its great to know that there is this amount of support for new forum users. I hope that one day I can be in the same position to help others here!

Cheers,

Harv

Hi theenigma,

which Firewall do you use?

Best regards,
    -Matt-

Hi Matt,

At the moment I am using the hardware firewall that is part of the Netgear router. I also use the avast On-Access scanner although I know that in itself is not a firewall.

I used to use Windows Firewall but I found it caused quite a lot of slowdown and wasn't necessary, before that I used Kerio Firewall before it was bought out by Sun Microsystems and before that I used ZoneAlarm.

Quite an eclectic journey really! May I ask if you use a software / hardware firewall yourself?

Cheers,

Harv

Hi theenigma,

I use a hardware and a software firewall. But I will switch soon to another software firewall...

I recommend you to use a software firewall too. But it's your decision in the end...

Best regards,
    -Matt-