Thread: WIndows false positives. PLEASE HELP!

Default WIndows false positives. PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

Just reformatted a computer and EVERYTHING worked perfect. But than, just to be sure, I ran a scan in SPybot to make sure it was working right.

It picked up 4 false positives. They were about the windows security. I don't remember exaclty. Something like windows_disable.. something like that. I'm sure somene here will know what I'm referring to. Anyway..I accidently removed them. Ever since than, I have no internet access whatsoever.

I need this fixed asap. Also, when I go into XP firewall settings, it won't let me change anything. Says something about a group policy. 've tried using the recovery option in SB and restarting, but nothing worked. I tried using system restore, still nothing.

No internet at all. I hope I'm not going to have to reinstall XP again because of SB. PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by krikle View Post
    No internet at all. I hope I'm not going to have to reinstall XP again because of SB.
    Not because of Spybot. You are misunderstanding. And the flagged results are not false positives either.

I doubt removing the Windows Security Center related entries might have led to no Internet connection. Can you bring up a log of the entries? Even simplier, for a brief glance at the results, try looking in the Recovery tab and see the flagged entries. Try typing them in your next post.
    I'm just curious on what else was detected and/or removed.
    've tried using the recovery option in SB and restarting
    Did you remember what you recovered?

This situation is very weird because I really don't think Spybot may have caused all your problems. And about the group policy, is this a workstation machine or a Personal computer?

Are you sure you have no Internet connection? How do you connect to the Internet?

in addition to drragosteas post, if you do not remember what Spybot S&D removed you can look this up in the Spybot S&D log files, you can find them in Spybot S&D:
    • open Spybot S&D and switch to advanced mode
    • navigate to Tools - View Report
    • click on the blue "View previous report" button
    • select the latest Fixes txt file and open it
    • then click on Export and save the report to your desktop
    • attach the report to your next post

Please answer the questions posted by drragostea
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.