Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I stop SpybotS&D from blocking userinit.exe?

Default How do I stop SpybotS&D from blocking userinit.exe?

Hi, so I guess i visited a site with a virus, and S&D started asking if i wanted to block a whole bunch of values, and I wasn't sure what any of these values were, so I just hit "deny change" for all of them

I just realized when I started up my computer that it didn't load after I typed in the password, and I realized that userinit.exe was blocked. I ran userinit.exe from the Run menu, and my computer started up.

so basically my question is: How do I allow a value that I previously said for S&D to deny? How do I stop S&D from blocking userinit.exe?

thanks for any feedback

Hello,

Please right-click the Resident icon in the system tray "Spybot S&D resident" and select "Settings". There you will find 4 lists for remembered decisions (allowed/denied processes and registry changes). In order to remove an entry just click on the cross next to it. TeaTimer will then "forget" this decision and you will be asked again the next time.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi Sandra, I followed your instructions but now when I log into my XP account, it immediately logs me out before I can do anything, before anything loads. I can't even log in to disable Spyboy S&D. How can I shut down S&D without logging in? i can't even use my computer because i can't log in

thanks for any feedback.

Hi bugmento,

what about this:
    Try to start your computer in safe and dis-able TeaTimer or do whatever you like there.

You said that you perhaps visited a site with a virus. Are you sure to be free of Malware?

Best regards,
    -Matt-
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by -Matt- View Post
    Hi bugmento,

what about this:
    Try to start your computer in safe and dis-able TeaTimer or do whatever you like there.

You said that you perhaps visited a site with a virus. Are you sure to be free of Malware?

Best regards,
    -Matt-

Hi Matt, how do I start my computer in Safe Mode? I have XP and I don't know where the screen to start in Safe Mode is.

And to answer your second question, I'm pretty sure I dont have malware on my computer, because S&D or my other anti-spyware programs would have detected it, plus I dont think malware would make my account log out immediately after logging in.

Hi bugmento,

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
    * Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
    * Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    * Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
    * Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    * When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Best regards,
    -Matt-

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by -Matt- View Post
    Hi bugmento,

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
    * Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
    * Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    * Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
    * Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    * When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Best regards,
    -Matt-
    Hi Matt, so i just tried booting in Safe Mode, as well as Last Working mode or whatever its called, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt. None of them allowed me to get into my account without logging out immediately. They would take me to the login screen and there would be

Administrator
    and
    My account

I tried logging into both Administrator and my account, and both had the same problem: Log in and log out immediately.

Any suggestions? I'm still just trying to disable teatimer.exe or the whole Spybot so I can just log in.

thanks,

Ryan

Hi bugmento,

I don't know if I'm going to say something very stupid now (please correct me if needed), but as far as I know, Spybot or TeaTimer will never load when starting your computer in safe mode. Safe mode should only start Windows, nothing else.

So I ask myself, how should TeaTimer block userinit.exe it it isn't loaded?

Can you give us an file path of userinit.exe ?

I'll think about your problem...

Best regards,
    -Matt-

Matt

Hi bugmento,

I'm back again.

Boot into the "Safe Mode Menu" again and try "Last known good configuration", and see if that works.

Unless someone else knows a fix, and as a last resort you could try a repair install from the XP CD.
    Perhaps this can help you too: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/EN-US/

Best regards,
    -Matt-
    Last edited by Matt; 2009-03-04 at 17:44.

Matt

Hi,

I suppose that the correct registry entry for userinit is not set anymore probably because the Teatimer has prevented it once. Now it doesn't matter if the Teatimer is running or not. As long as the registry entry is not set correctly you won't be able to log in.

The solution is to manually set the entry for userinit. The best chance was when you was still able to use the Run menu but this is to late now.

Please read this blog from a Team Spybot member and choose one method in order to repair the registry:

http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=14

After repairing the registry and rebooting the Teatimer could ask you about userinit again. Please allow the change this time.