Thread: Uninstall Spybot S&D

Default Uninstall Spybot S&D

I am trying to install a security suite provided by our ISP through McAfee. Because of incompatabilty between McAfee and Spybot, I have uninstalled Spybot with Add/ Remove Programs as well as the hidden file in Documents/Settings/Applications as per instructions on the Spybot Website.

These are the only instructions I can find. McAfee is still finding a trace of Spybot on the computer somewhere evidently because it keeps telling me to remove Spybot before it can install. The only other reference I find for Spybot is a folder in c:/Program Files, but It won't let me delete it.

Any ideas how to delete that folder? I also could NOT find any Spybot listings in the registry.

Help... I need to get rid of this.

There doesn't seem to be a "incompatibility" to me.
    Have you rebooted after uninstalling Spybot and then reinstalling McAfee?

Yes. The computer has been rebooted several times. I've also tried reinstalling McAfee several times. As far as being compatable, that is McAfee that says it isn't, therefore it won't install.

There must be some file or something that Spybot left behind when it was uninstalled. Otherwise, how would it know that Spybot had ever been on the computer?
    Last edited by Papad; 2009-03-03 at 01:32.

The only other reference I find for Spybot is a folder in c:/Program Files, but It won't let me delete it.
    Windows wouldn't let you delete it? Usually when I encounter these files, I would reboot and delete them again. I think McAfee is detecting a folder, because I doubt it's going to burrow into the registry and search.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post

I think McAfee is detecting a folder, because I doubt it's going to burrow into the registry and search.

That's what I was talking about. I need to get rid of the folder because McAfee sees it and won't install.

"can not delete SDhelper.dll:" This is what I get when I try to delete the folder. Rebooting makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Papad View Post
    "can not delete SDhelper.dll:" This is what I get when I try to delete the folder. Rebooting makes no difference.

Hi Papad,

as far as I know, this and some other files are protected by Spybot against Malware/change.
    I'm not sure whether this could help you: Before I un-install Spybot, I first dis-able SDhelper and TeaTimer and restart the computer. Then I delete Spybot with add/remove After that, I restart again and can delete the leavings... This worked everytime here on my computer...

But there should be another solution I guess... ... let me think about it...

Best regards,
    -Matt-
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

"can not delete SDhelper.dll:"
    Should have said that earlier. I think this lies in the Programs Folder.
    If you cannot remove it normally, I guess you might as well take the time and take the long way. Reinstall Spybot-Search&Destroy and then uninstall it, this time disabling both Resident Shields (Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident) before uninstall. Reboot and then proceed with the installation.

Later after McAfee's installation, you can reinstall Spybot.

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try.

Hello Try this...
    Unregister the Spybotsd.dll by using command regsvr32 -u "Path of SDHelper.dll" after this try to reboot the system. Now try to delete the folder of Spybot from the Program file... It will be deleted ..

Quote Originally Posted by Papad View Post
    I am trying to install a security suite provided by our ISP through McAfee. Because of incompatabilty between McAfee and Spybot, I have uninstalled Spybot with Add/ Remove Programs as well as the hidden file in Documents/Settings/Applications as per instructions on the Spybot Website.
    Why?

AVG is better and works fine with Spybot: Search & Destroy, SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes all at the same time. I would not run a computer without SS&D installed and regularly used on it.

Any company whose product requires SS&D to be uninstalled before it can be installed should be held under the deepest suspicion, even if you do not follow the latest news in antimalware which puts AVG, Avast!, Avira and ESET ahead of McAfee consistently for the last year and longer, and none of them conflict with SS&D.

Just a heads-up to hopefully assist in an educated choice of antimalware software.