Thread: spybot S & D and the new "antivirus 360 malware" problem

Default spybot S & D and the new "antivirus 360 malware" problem

I have installed Spybot S & D on a relatives PC, but they still were hit by the "antivirus 360" malware. This could easily be user error, but I wanted to know if the latest version of the database will detect and clean this malware up? I am rather new to this PC support role so forgive me if I sound foolish.

Thank you

In Memoriam -Always in our heart pskelley's Avatar

Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
    "BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance) http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
    All advice given is taken at your own risk.
    Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

Pinned (sticky) to the top of this forum, and posted above are the directions, make sure you have read and followed them, then post the requested logs, please mention any recent symptoms.

guitarmondo, Spybot S&D is a great freeware program, but it can only do so much. The rouge malware you describe can be difficult to remove. I can not tell you more until you follow the directions and start with the HJT log.

Thanks...Phil
    MS-MVP Consumer Security 2007-08-09
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

Default It was user error, sort of

Thank you for your response.

The user wasn't keeping their database up-to-date so it didn't have the malware defined to it. When I updated the database, it caught the malware. The only area it didn't find it was in the Quick Launch had an AC360.exe show up in it. I just had to delete that and the problem was resolved.

BTW, I am a huge fan of Spybot and recommend it all the time. What is considered a fair donation? I am starting a business and will be happy to include a donation from my customers to keep this product on the market.

Thank you

In Memoriam -Always in our heart pskelley's Avatar
    MS-MVP Consumer Security 2007-08-09
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006