Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SpyBot installs, won't run

Yeah, that worked for my browser. And the only thing I had installed extra (to my knowledge) was the Google toolbar. I've always been told to trust Google but apparently they are affiliated with about:blank?

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time. I still can't install SpyBot though. Everything on my system seems to be working perfectly now with the exception that I can install but not run SpyBot and I can't even install Ad-Aware.

If I am totally infection free and my computer is seemingly perfect right now, why can't I run SpyBot?

D

Emeritus

the about:blank you where experiencing wasnt the older malware that went around a few years ago. Sometimes browser add-ons can mess with IE.
    If you uninstalled the google toolbar you can re-install it if you want.

Can you download and install any programs? See if you can install Malwarebytes ok:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    * Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Sory for the delay.... and thanks for not closing the thread.

Yes - I can install software no problem. I have installed and run Malwarebytes' program. In fact, my computer has been running perfectly all week!

It's SpyBot that is the problem. SpyBot installs no problem but it won't run. Ad-Aware AE won't even install. To my knowledge these are the only programs I'm having problems with and given that they're both anti-malware products I have to assume that the problem is the same.

D

Emeritus

hi,

sorry for delay, havent been online in a few days. anti malware apps not running when you click on them could be caused by malware but i dont think thats your problem. lets see if you can run it in safe mode by chance.

also maybe you got a corrupt download? You have tried uninstalling spybot, reboot computer then redownload and install?

To reach safe mode you would tap the f8 key during a computer restart, chose the first option from the list: safe mode. Once at the safe mode desktop try launching spybot.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?