Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help my cute RAM

Default Help my cute RAM

ok. my RAM is 512MB. and at the start of opening my pc. with out opening any application or software, by looking at the memory optimizer by TU' 09
    my memory already consume about 52 percent. i think my free memory is at 255mb.

i would like to ask if it's normal for my computer to consume memory like that.?

i already configure the startup program. ->msconfig->startup.
    this is also a problem why i think twice of installing antivirus and anti spyware. because it really consume a lot of memory. and i play games in my computer everyday (most of the time online games).

ofcourse a good thing to do is upgrade my RAM. but right now i want to optimize my 512RAM. i want to see what things consume my ram.

i thank you in advance for your help.
    Last edited by BennyZars; 2009-03-06 at 07:32.

Run Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete), go to Processes tab and click on View > Select Collumns... and tick the checkbox named Memory Usage. After that, you should be able to see Mem Usage at list. It shows how much which process takes some memory. Can you show some of processes which have a mem usage of 30.000+ K? Note: Don't use any optimizers and don't end any kind of process even if it takes a lot of mem usage!

first thanks for the reply.

heres the list (I write it all)

avgnt.exe - administrator - 1,060k
    taskmng.exe - administrator - 2, 320k
    alg.exe - local service - 3,560k
    wscntify.exe - administrator - 2, 344k
    servicelayer.exe - system - 5,808
    sched.exe - system - 472k
    explorer.exe - administrator - 19,236k
    spoolsv.exe - system - 4, 988k
    TUProgSt.exe - system - 2,736k
    svchost.exe - system - 4,260k
    svchost.exe - local service - 4,100k
    ati2evxx.exe - system - 3,488k
    IEXPLORE.exe - administrator - 15,488k
    svchost.exe - network system - 5,672k
    svchost.exe - sysem - 18,600k
    StarWindServiceA... - sytem - 3,704k
    svchost.exe -network service - 4,528k
    svchost.exe - system - 5,292k
    ati2evxx.exe - system - 3,276k
    Isass.exe - system - 1,748k
    services.exe - 3,580k
    winlogon.exe - system - 1,380k
    csrss.exe - system - 3,764k
    smss.exe - system - 392k
    avguard.exe - system - 9,572k
    GoogletoolbarNot... - administrator - 1,468k
    ctfmon.exe - administrator - 3,708k
    jusched.exe - administrator - 4,808k
    Launchapplication... - administrator - 13,596k
    SOUNDMAN.exe - administrator - 2,932k
    raid_tool.exe - administrator - 2,392k
    System - system - 236k
    System Idle process - system - 16K

There doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in your Task Manager. My PC (really old) runs a P4 with 512MB it boots up with a snap, well considering that it only has five startup entries (basically security software).
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyZars
    this is also a problem why i think twice of installing antivirus and anti spyware. because it really consume a lot of memory. and i play games in my computer everyday (most of the time online games).
    Well, I'd rather bring in the security then have no security at all, but hey it's your machine. I'd consider upgrading the RAM but I do not know how that may impact (in a positive way) your game play.

I've used to play 'The Sims 2' before on my PC and I've set it to the highest quality of the graphics but it lagged so horribly (my graphics card is old too). So I do not know how it may work, but I'm sure it'll be good if you install anti-virus on your machine after upgrading the RAM (more resources).

Every anti-virus program is memory intensive (my tech friend told me that), so just install it and let it protect you.

PS: Are you saying your PC is "slow" (like in performance) and/or slow during bootup?

anyway this is my pc specs

Pentium 4 1.7GHZ
    video card - ATI RADEON 9550 128MB
    RAM- 512 MB
    hard disk memory 150 GB

anway i install avira anti virus (free). the lag is not that long and bad. compare when i install the kaspersky internet protection or avg. which is horrible in bootup.

so what other internet securities do i need to have.? how about an anti spyware.( a good one, consume less memory ^_^). what do you recommend?

i think spybot also should have an anti spyware too. that would be awesome.
    an excellent spyware scanner and cleaner + anti spyware. ^_^

heres the program listed in startup in msconfig in my computer
    1.) raid tool
    2.)SOUNDMAN (soundman.exe)
    3.) nero check
    4.) Launch application
    5.) jusched
    6.) avgnt
    7.) qttask
    8.) ctfmon
    9.) google toolbar notifier

there are other 12 in startup that i closed. but idont know what should i close on the above listed program.

thanks for your help. i really appreciate it.
    Last edited by BennyZars; 2009-03-07 at 03:57.

Ha, I have ATI Radeon 9200 .
    From your specs, I have to say that your processor (1.7GHz) is causing the problem. I recall that the GHz stands for how many "calculations" it can perform in a period of time (1 second if I'm correct), so the more the better. I also recall that even if you give your machine 3GB of RAM, it will not push any further [in performance means] (think of pushing a rock, for example), because your processor is working as fast as it can. That may explain the slow bootup.
    Two unnecessary bootup processes are "ctfmon" (International Languages) and "jusched" (updater for Java), but I don't think they'll make a difference in your load time.

AVG and Avira Antivir is pretty good, but when you install security suites like Kaspersky it can be really slow for your machine especially if you have a 1.7GHz processor. I've seen similar results (symptoms) on a P4 2.5-3.0GHz processor but with 256MB of RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyZars
    so what other internet securities do i need to have.? how about an anti spyware.( a good one, consume less memory ^_^). what do you recommend?
    Depends on what you want. A scanner with real-time protection (might tax your resources too) or a spyware scanner solely used for scanning w/ no Resident Shields.

Spybot-Search&Destroy is one good anti-spyware protection I recommend (you can always turn off the Resident Shields anytime).

wow. thanks for your detailed and accurate answers.

aaaa. I already have the spybot search and destroy . i thought spybot is for scanning and cleaning spyware only.

so where can i see the resident shield in spybot?. so resident shield protects our computer from spyware?.
    Last edited by BennyZars; 2009-03-07 at 05:49.

The Resident Shields (TeaTimer [system] and SDHelper [MS IE]) are available at Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident.

However, what makes TeaTimer different from other Resident Shields is that it does not work like a active time unit that prompts you of the execution of a malicious file, but it monitors critical areas of your registry and system (Browser BHOs, Startup Entries, Active X, etc.).

Here's a brief FAQ about TeaTimer:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html
    -
    The downside of TeaTimer is that you'll need a bit of knowledge of how the system works (what program is what and what process identifies it etc.).If you wish give a try, but if it becomes a bit difficult to decide what to do (TeaTimer prompts you) you can always disable it.

Good luck.

^
    thanks again drragostea

No problem.