Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: immunize 'Safari' and 'Chrome'

ance, then what? Just because we can be identified from the crowd what does that make us? Is not a privacy issue is it? You may get negative comments but for the browser, but I'm sure it's not considered "spyware". Perhaps you can explain more about the "unique-id"? I'm a bit curious.

Synetech, then what is the difference between 'Google Chrome' and 'Chromium'?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Synetech, then what is the difference between 'Google Chrome' and 'Chromium'?
    The icon and about box.

As far as I can tell, Chrome includes the Google Updater (for which I don’t think the source is available), and Chrome is released less often because they have to review it more rigorously before announcing a release, whereas Chromium makes available nightlies (or to be more accurate, hourlies).

Ah >_<. And I thought they were the same thing.
    So I guess Chromium is the developer version of Google Chrome? So it's released a lot faster than Chrome. Is Chromium available to everyone?

Chromium is the open-source browser based on WebKit that Google founded and is available to anyone. Chrome is the official Google brand browser built from Chromium. It’s sort of like Linux->BSD/Ubuntu/RedHat, etc. Linux is the open-source OS, while the different distros are specialty version of it (although the difference between Chrome and Chromium is very little right now.)

Last edited by ght1; 2009-03-29 at 09:32.

Chromium based binaries would be my recommendation as well. We created a small tool for the ID thing, but a custom build would attack the problem more at the root.<br>
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default In regards to Google Chrome being spyware...

In this thread I read someone saying Chrome was spyware, because it had some built-in function that reports back user destinations... is that only if you have web history (or whatever the term is) turned on if you were to visit your Google settings (via http)... in my case I have it turned off (or I have not enabled web history).

And forgive my newbie question, as I read that Chrome is not yet supported by Spybot, does the team at Spybot ever plan on supporting it, and/or in the process of doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by 384sprites View Post
    In this thread I read someone saying Chrome was spyware, because it had some built-in function that reports back user destinations... is that only if you have web history (or whatever the term is) turned on if you were to visit your Google settings (via http)... in my case I have it turned off (or I have not enabled web history).
    From what I’ve read, what happens is that if you type something into the Omnibar of Chrome and press enter, it sends that string to Google which returns your search results. If you precede that string with a custom search keyword (which you can configure through Wrench->Options->Basics->Manage (Default Search), then it just opens the expected url with the search term. What I have yet to test is whether there is any difference between entering somthing and g something in the Omnibar. If the former case does anything extra than the latter, then there may be something to the rumors. If not, then it’s just doing a simple Google search. Either way, you can always just use Chromium.

Quote Originally Posted by 384sprites View Post
    And forgive my newbie question, as I read that Chrome is not yet supported by Spybot, does the team at Spybot ever plan on supporting it, and/or in the process of doing so?
    Actually SpyBot does have Chrome immunizations as of a somewhat recent version (don’t know exactly which version).
    Last edited by Synetech; 2009-05-21 at 00:15.

Arrow

With UnChrome you can remove the unique ID

Is it considered a privacy threat? Like having a database of users?

My PC froze when I executed UnChrome : [.