Thread: Question about dummy files

Default Question about dummy files

Hi, I have a problem with Spybot - I'm guessing something changed a few versions ago, so I'm here for help.

I use a program called Netants to download files and such. However, the adware that infects it (Cydoor) is a problem. Spybot used to be able to detect the adware and replace it with dummy files, but I recently reinstalled Windows, and it seems that the files are no longer replaced, just removed.

I didn't see any option to replace files with dummies in the options, so I always thought it was automatic. But now it doesn't do it anymore, and all it does is remove the files.

Is there a way to tell the program to replace the files with dummies so I can continue to use Netants?

Thanks.
    Last edited by FakeFx; 2009-03-17 at 04:19.

Then why continue using a problem (it looks like a download manager) that continues to infect your machine with adware?

Not all files can be replaced by dummies. The ability to replace the files with harmless dummies cannot be guaranteed everytime. Spybot tries it's best to replace it but when it cannot, it cannot.

Hope you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Then why continue using a problem (it looks like a download manager) that continues to infect your machine with adware?

Not all files can be replaced by dummies. The ability to replace the files with harmless dummies cannot be guaranteed everytime. Spybot tries it's best to replace it but when it cannot, it cannot.

Hope you understand.
    Because I've tried other download managers and this is the only one that works the way I like? I used Spybot because it got rid of the adware for me. The program is good, other than the trash it comes bundled with.

Spybot WAS able to replace the adware with dummy files in the past, and Netants (the program) hasn't been updated for several years. So why did it stop replacing the dummy files? Nothing's changed, other than Spybot. This is the first time it's given me any sort of issue in several years.
    Last edited by FakeFx; 2009-03-17 at 21:14.

OK, that's odd, I can't edit my previous post...

Anyway, I apologize for the tone of my previous reply. I don't mean to be insulting, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on with this.

Sorry if I offended you.