Thread: Spybot will not execute

Default Spybot will not execute

I'm having trouble with the latest version of Spybot 1.6.2. It simply will not start up. This is true of prior versions, as well, which did work at one time. When I click on the Icon, the windows hour glass spins for about five seconds and disappears. It makes no difference if I use the short-cut icon or do it directly from the folder in which Spybot resides.

I also have McAfee Virus Scan Plus (I spit on them!). I have it currently disabled completely, yet Spybot will not execute. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled it without success.

I can get the individual components to run, such as SDUpdate.exe, SDShred.exe, and Update.exe. But program SpybotSD.exe won't run and SDMain.exe just opens a blank DOS window and goes away.

What might be keeping Spybot from running?

im new to this forum, so please excuse if i posted in the wrong place. im having a similar problem too, but mine does run, it just takes about 5 hours to complete the scan, and it never finds anything. been happening this way for about a year now, doesn't matter which version i use. i dont have very much on my laptops harddrive, i only install antispyware, antivirus, firewall, etc. on the internal, i use an external for installing all programs so that i dont have to reinstall everything everytime i reformat, and of course the external is not hooked up when i scan. the scan used to take about 35 minutes with the same amount of data on the hard drive. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by edblaize; 2009-03-20 at 18:55.

I'm having the same problem as the first poster. I've just installed Spybot but when I try to open it I get a few seconds of the hourglass, then nothing.

Let's hit the basics first. Try renaming the desktop icon (Spybot) and if that doesn't work execute the .scr file in Spybot's Program Folder. Details are in this thread:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...82&postcount=3
    -
    Your symptoms usually sound like it is from an active malware infection. Are you sure there's nothing hiding?