Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot Immunize Plus IE 8 Final Equals Disaster On WinXP SP3

Angry Spybot Immunize Plus IE 8 Final Equals Disaster On WinXP SP3

Hello,

It seems Spybot 1.6.2 is causing massive problems with IE 8 final on Windows XP SP3 machines. Vista SP1 appears to be unaffected.

If you do a complete spybot immunize it causes massive problems for not just IE 8, but all applications, so it seems.

Please See:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...0-0d5a0c6bb0fe

Notice an IE MVP has replied and stated that reports are coming in about this, so I'm not alone.

In my case though, on all 3 computers I have tried this on, every single problem was caused because of spybot immunize only. Spyware blaster continues to work just fine.

But mainly it causes IE 8 to use 100% CPU for about 5 minutes when starting it. Same with trying to load the windows control panel and many applications.

If you try and download a file in firefox for example it too freezes because it starts using 100% CPU.

So if you undo spybot immunize then no more problem.

By the way IE 8 RC 1 does not have this problem.

Thank You,

Will

Well, more information coming it.

People getting different results..

Heck even I am.. Still have orginal problem now on PCs that dont even have spybot. What the hell Microsoft!!!

Anyone else seeing any of this?

Seeing problems with IE8?

yep, me too. (since the rc1 version)
    Only difference is: I'd let Microsoft do some re-writing, not Safer networking..

I'm all for spybot, but don't start blaming Microsoft...

Esteemed Member

I don't seem to have any problems. I had immunized with IE 7 installed, then installed IE 8 and have no problenms, You do close the browser before immunizing?

XP pro SP3 all updates IE 8 Spybot 1.6,2 46 all updates

Indeed I always make sure all browsers are closed before immunized.

Screw IE 8 anyways, it's a dog even on Vista. POS!!

@Djpallo: I'm all for stable browsing with IE ( especially since it's necessary with some sites & services)
    Problem with IE7 & 8 is; both of them created instable situations on - otherwise - stable systems.. (updating from the last version)

I'm not one of those people who's always blaming Microsoft; but since sp3 Microsoft is making it increasingly more difficult for XP users..
    Using certain options or installing new - but essential - software for instance..

@Rosenfeld: I installed IE beta2 before even installing S&D; after I had several issues with IE8 rc1.. (I installed my windows several times during that - very - problematic period.)
    I'm not even risking IE8 final.. (that's oke, I use Opera & another browser as alternatives)
    Last edited by Rouke; 2009-03-23 at 00:02.

Immunization means using the browsers own options for protection.

All the immunization does is filling the browsers blacklists. Leading to the same result as if you would add all those domains manually.

From my standpoint, its not a question whether the list was made for such a huge amount of entries or not - Microsoft has been knowing for years that it is being used for that, and should have adjusted. And it's not like it would be complicated, previous IE versions were dealing with it fine. In computer science, it should be a standard test case to check every user maintained list for its capacities. Granted, it's not always done, and I have to admit we've failed on that aspect as well before (see our problem with huge lists of user cookies). But that means fixing up the mess (what would you've said if we told you "just don't use that many cookies"?).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

So, what will the future solution be?

Wait till Microsoft fixes the problem?

I supose someone is in contact with microsoft.

When is the solution expected to be fixed?

Thanks.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Post-...r-107612.shtml

This might give you a clue of when it will be solved.

Unless there is a massive complaint against Microsoft, I don't see how this issue will be quickly solved.

I know this might sound bad, but, if people wish to see things solved, perhaps, they should threaten Microsoft they will start using alternate browsers.

Would that do the trick?

Regards

P.S: As Patrick well mentioned, this is not an issue with Spybot. It's a bug within IE 8 (Final Version), regarding the Restricted Sites zone.

This issue also affects applications requiring administrative rights, such as Spybot's updating. It will increase the response time.

Could you guys imagine waiting like 30 minutes (Just an estimative.), just to install an application like VMWare Workstation? I believe that would be the time to wait for an UAC prompt to appear.
    It takes like 8 minutes or so, just to wait for Spybot's update module to respond.
    Last edited by m00nbl00d; 2009-03-26 at 15:10.