Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spybot Immunize Plus IE 8 Final Equals Disaster On WinXP SP3

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by vodanh View Post
    < SNIP >

"For example, SmartScreen Filter uses a list which is hosted by Microsoft, to which any IE 8 user can contribute and which is thus much more quickly responsive than a local list downloaded weekly."

Explain to me how having to fetch a list from MS is more efficient than a local list (minus the fetching) unless the data is stored in and processed in a more efficient way. MS has never been faster or safer at protecting individuals than people who find the exploits and report them and often provided a fix before hand and reporting them as a courtesy for MS to fix it in a more maintream method.

---
    < SNIP >

But right now, it has been EXTREMELY effective for me, this IE8 bug is just really really really annoying. was working fine in IE7, make it work in IE8, by theory yes its a bad idea, however, it shouldn't have crossed the critical line in this short period of time from perfectly fine i IE7 to completely broken in IE8.
    There are several reasons an Internet accessed list can be more effective, assuming the system providing the responses to queries has enough bandwidth available to support the requests.

First, changes to the status of a site become available as soon as they are added to the Internet attached system, rather than waiting up to a week after they are detected with Spybot S&D's weekly updates. Second, downloading and searching a list of thousands of web sites locally is inherently inefficient, since it's unilikely anyone will ever access more than a handful of these sites in the lifetime of their PC, let alone a short time period. Third, the filtering can be done with much more granularity, down to a specific page or even file, which also implies the potential for hundreds of thousands to millions of entries in the database which obviously can't be supported locally on each PC.

Also, since the previous design that SmartScreen Filter is based upon itself used a smaller cached list of commonly accessed 'bad' sites, I'd assume it does the same. Since this list was downloaded only when it changed, which may have been weekly to monthly, it only contained a small number of well known bad sites that didn't change very often, which is what PepiMK stated they generally use Immunize for anyway.

So in general, SmartScreen Filter has all of the positives of Immunization and more with virtually none of the negatives. I personally make my security choices based on logical examination of the abilities, not historical determinations of what has worked in the past. This is important since significant changes in the design of either the OS or something like Internet Explorer can have major effects on the ability or even need for some of the older security programs to provide protection. Ignoring these changes simply leaves the protection in an out of date status and may actually reduce the true security overall, exactly the point everyone else believes they're trying to make here.

Bitman
    Last edited by bitman; 2009-04-09 at 07:36. Reason: Added third reason.

Is this the fix Microsoft found out, and promised to look at?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938/en-us

If I well understand it, they say to contact the software vendor (Safer Networking) to solve this issue.

I hope I am not misinterpreting it.
    Last edited by m00nbl00d; 2009-04-12 at 14:00.

No, that Microsoft article is discussing how to find a conflicting ADD-ON... the SpyBot issue is not with an add-on, but rather, with the restricted sites zone.

in fact, that article contains the explicit NOTE:
    If you currently have Spybot installed with the immunization feature enabled, you will need to disable that feature until that issue is resolved.

Hi,

Just updating my files.

Does anyone know if this immunization problem between Spybot and IE8 has ever been solved?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
    " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I'm Smiling Too!"

Esteemed Member

I think so. I have no slow down with IE 8 with many sites in the restricted zone put there by Soybot and/or Spywareblaster.

Hi Rosenfeld,

I appreciate the update. I guess I will go ahead and immunize all the Internet Explorer settings in Spybot and see what happens.

Thanks for the quick response.

Regards,

2harts4ever

Gopher John,

Yep ... I have that IE8 update and everything (speed) seems to be much better this time around.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

There are no Spybot immunization problems. Only bad Spybot immunization techniques.

It seems to me that anyone that is having problems with Spybot and IE8 is most probably NOT following a "best practices" attitude. And I've looked at the Microsoft links some of you novices have provided and none of them blame Spybot.

In order to properly update and immunize with Spybot, this is the ONLY procedure to follow:

1. Computer is turned off
    2. Fresh boot into an Administrator account
    3. All Browsers are CLOSED and have NEVER been opened for the session
    4. Open and update Spybot
    5. Immunize
    6. Close Spybot
    7. Shutdown and relogin to your normal user account.
      (if your normal user account is an Administrator account, then you deserve a messed-up computer)

BTW, this is the same procedure to perform when installing Windows Updates.

Also, if you have any application that is running slowly (Teatimer?) and that application uses a large, and constantly updated, file (Windows HOSTS file updated via immunization?) then remember to defrag your hard drive at least once a month.

BTW, Teatimer may appear to take `100% of your CPU but it really isn't - if Spybot is properly installed and updated, Teatimer runs at IDLE priority so don't worry about it.

Don't blame Microsoft or Safer Networking for your poor computer maintenance skills.
    Last edited by BillGio; 2009-12-14 at 22:59.

BillGio,

Don't blame Microsoft or Safer Networking for your poor computer maintenance skills.
    Wow! You have such a way with words!

I can't thank you enough for coming down off your 'lofty perch' long enough to help a mere mortal such as myself.

It has always amazed me how some folks seem to forget what it was like when they first entered the world of 'cyper space'.

By the sounds of your response that is exactly how I have you pegged!

Have a great day!