Thread: Updating From 1.4

Default Updating From 1.4

For one reason and another I havnt kept up with Spybot Search &D. Im still on Version 1.4 as well as my Mothers computer . Obviously I want to get this sorted.

I dont want to lose the logs on my mums computer ( as I may need to sort a problem she encountered with Spybot S&D) I just want to know if I need to uninstall 1.4 first or just install over the top WITHOUT losing those logs.

Thanks.
    Musical

What are the logs that you mean?? Are they Spybot scan logs??

All the Logs SS&D creates.

Musical

Hi Musical,

All the Logs SS&D creates.
    Which problem do you have with your computer and Spybot? Please give us more details... otherwise, it's difficult to help you.

If you still have Spybot 1.4 on your computer, you should completely un-install this version first. After that, reboot your computer and install Spybot 1.6.2.46 you can get from here.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Thanks for your response Matt.

OK I “look after” my mums computer and heres the story.

Shes, away at the moment and I have her computer at home with me, so I can hopefully get this sorted B4 she gets back. Im on her computer right now.

Specs: P4 2.4Ghz - XP Home 512MBs RAM - 40GIG HDD … Heaps of free space. I have SS&D installed with AVG 7.5 and Spywareblaster 4.1. These will be updated to later versions as soon as I get this issue with SS&D sorted and AVG has just stopped support for 7.5 and so will download the huge 8.5 soon.

Computer is only used basically for emails and a few other basics. She does No Internet banking/transactions online though the computer has been used a couple of times a while ago by other family members for a transaction. This is not likely to be repeated.

About a week ago my Mum encountered a Teatimer Dialog box which she clicked off by the cross which deleted a registry entry as she didnt know whether to allow or disallow it and the allow/ disallow/remember buttons are 1/2 obscured so that you cant see what they are anyway .My SS&D does the same.. The box kept then coming back and she couldnt get rid of it. It reappeared on reboot. When I went to look at her computer this is what I saw :

Category: Session Manager
    Change: Value deleted
    Entry: BootExecute
    Old data: hex(7): 61,75,74,6F,63,68,65,63,6B,20,61,75

After trying to get rid of the box and I cant remember whether I tried clicking, “ allow” again, or “disallow” or the “X “, but I got the following…..

Category: Session Manager
    Change: Value deleted
    Entry: ExcludeFromKnownDLLs
    Old data: hex(7): 00"

Now SS&D takes 50 to 60 secs to load so something is wrong. I checked in the Teatimer log and it APPEARS that AVG was updating but I cant be sure EXACTLY what my mum was doing as shes old and gets confused easily about computers and its difficult to get her to explain stuff.

That’s why I want to keep a record of the logs incase you guys can see something. I have indeed exported the log so incase you want to see it its there. So shall I go ahead now and uninstall 1.4 and install the 1.6.2.0 which I downloaded a couple of days ago.

Thanks for your help....and now Im off to read that " completely" link

Musical

Right now, Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.4.x is badly oudated and is no longer supported. You'll have a more likely chance of encountering errors when you use the program.

I would suggest you uninstall Spybot-SD, run the "small fix" as indicated in the link -Matt- provided you, reboot, and proceed with the installation of Spybot 1.6.2.46.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musical
    I dont want to lose the logs on my mums computer ( as I may need to sort a problem she encountered with Spybot S&D).
    Which can be what?

Best regards.

"Which can be what?"

Do you mean "which is what?" If so, and if Im understanding U, I explained above what the problem SS&D was.

Anywayz Ive reinstalled on both our computers and updated and so forth and so far it all seems to be OK thanks.

Cheers
    Musical

Hi Musical,

Quote Originally Posted by Musical View Post
    Anywayz Ive reinstalled on both our computers and updated and so forth and so far it all seems to be OK thanks.
    I'm glad to hear that.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt