Thread: Pop-up Virus - Need help

Default Pop-up Virus - Need help

This is my first time posting to here and I am hoping to find some answers.

Yesterday my computer started randomly opening up additional Internet Explorer applications while I was online, however they were more like pop-ups than web pages. Random things like, advertisements for anti-spam software, dating websites, etc... It also started opening up new tabs in the internet explorer application I was working in. To the extent that there were so many that I had to shut down the computer because it froze.

My subscription to McAfee is current and when I ran a scan (twice - yesterday and today) nothing came up. I've googled looking for answers and have read about a dozen programs to download, but I wasn't sure what to trust. Hopefully someone out there can help me with my problem. Thanks!

Emeritus

Hello and welcome to Safer Networking.

My name is km2357 and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

I will be giving you a series of instructions that need to be followed in the order in which I give them to you.

If for any reason you do not understand an instruction or are just unsure then please do not guess, simply post back with your questions/concerns and we will go through it again.

Please do not start another thread or topic, I will assist you at this thread until we solve your problems.

Lastly the fix may take several attempts and my replies may take some time but I will stick with it if you do the same.

Step # 1: Download and Run HijackThis

Download HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install it.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Copy/Paste the log to your next reply please.

Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    Don't have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    Malware Removal University Master
    Member of ASAP & UNITE

Emeritus

Phrank? Do you still need help?
    Member of ASAP & UNITE

Emeritus

This topic has been archived due to inactivity.

As it has been four days or more since your last post, and I have posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, this topic will not be reopened. If you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to this thread.

Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start a new topic.
    Member of ASAP & UNITE