Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the joke on us .. ???

Vista has both it's good and bads. Microsoft maybe tried too hard when they try to stabilize the good looks, performance, and stability at the same time. In the end, Vista wasn't as fruitful as Microsoft thought (in my opinion). I'll have to agree with 129260 that Vista might lag on less resourceful PCs but it does run smoothly on a high end machine. And not everyone can get a good machine just like that (we all try to make the best of what we have).

Vista might have the positive side when it comes to the latest hardware and games because I think Microsoft tried to make Vista optimal for gamers and graphic designers. Or maybe they overlooked the fact that people might play around with Vista and use old hardware programs, thus creating a mess and problem.

Vista (another bad thing is that there are so many versions of it) probably putting too much emphasis on Aero, the good looks, gadgets, and entertainment. It'll make slower systems choke and lag. I guess they tried to resolve that by giving users to disable the good looks.

Microsoft's problem, to me, is that they might all assume that when people upgrade they'll have a modern computer with modern hardware. Meaning it's support for some machines aren't flexible. Maybe you'll have half a million people that are still using Windows 2000 Profession or even Windows 98-ME who can't upgrade to Vista. That's half a million customers lost with a bad first impression.

I can't say the Windows 7 is the "best" OS that Windows has created so far but it sure can be a great improvement. I'll have to say it won't be the 'best' because when you think about it, there'll always be people that'll put countless hours to share hacks, mods, tweaks, and system exploits with the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K
    If UAC stays broken... i don't think so.
    I also read in an article that UAC can always be manupulated by malware so the prompt settings will be set to minimum and the malware can abuse the administrative rights and drill down to the system even further.

Switch to a Mac ! : D
    PS: OpenDNS seems to offer protection to an extent against phising sites and against the Conficker/DownadUp malware.

Talking Conficker comments...

Some real goodies are starting to appear all over the web - here are a few:

"Hey there! paperghost is using Twitter..."
    - http://twitter.com/paperghost?max_id...e=2&twttr=true
    Mar 25th
    > "Conficker April 1st Prediction #1: Sadako crawls out of your TFT monitor and EATS YOUR FACE"
    > "Conficker April 1st Prediction #2: Satan himself emerges from your mouse wheel, whines about convergent technology then EATS YOUR FACE"

- http://twitter.com/paperghost
    Mar 27th
    > "Conficker April 1st Prediction #3: Uwe Boll climbs out of your DVD drive, is given the movie rights to Superman and RUINS YOUR CHILDHOOD"

- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03...sis/page2.html
    26 March 2009 - "... More seriously Symantec notes* that searches for the term Conficker C have been contaminated to point at sites offering scareware packages, using black-hat search engine optimisation techniques. Be careful out there."
    * http://preview.tinyurl.com/corlz8

... and so it goes.
    The machine has no brain.
    ......... Use your own.
    Browser check for updates here.
    YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
    Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

PS: OpenDNS seems to offer protection to an extent against phising sites and against the Conficker/DownadUp malware.
    I think that your computer is proteced against the Conficker worm, my
    Don't worry about that Malware...
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Smile

Thank's for all the info on this .. I down loaded the malicious software removal tool .. I don't know where it went .. ??? cant find it .. also i'm running mal-warebyte's .. superantispy free edition .. s&d .. and windows live one care .. (for now) .. i just wanted to see how it work'd .. so far it tell's me that my status on my pc is GOOD .. as a matter of fact .. that's all it tell's me .. anyway .. new to the pc world .. thank's for takeing time for me .. ssuperdave ..

Quote Originally Posted by ssuperdave View Post
    Thank's for all the info on this .. I down loaded the malicious software removal tool .. I don't know where it went .. ???
    Follow these file path:

C:\Windows\system32\MRT <-- that's it !!
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Lightbulb hmm...

@ bitman-

I could not have said it any better. That was what I was trying to say in my post.

@ drragostea:

I agree 100% with you. thanks for agreeing with me.

@ AplusWebMaster

Lol nice post.

is it ok to download every update that window's put's on there home page for download's .. even the one's that don't auto download .. ??? like windows search 4.0 .. if there not express do i need them .. ???

You don't need them. It depends on what the updates are. Usually the ones you don't need are posted in the "Optional" section.

Talking about Windows Update, do I need to access it via IE in Vista??

all i do is hit start .. all program's .. then window's update or microsoft update's .. .. takes you to the home page for the auto and manuel update's ..