Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: The April First DoomsDay Question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default The April First DoomsDay Question

    I have two main concerns already.

    I already am running something called Symantec W32.Download since I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009. But is there something special or important that I should have for protection against this conficker April Fools non joke worm. If I'm in the wrong spot for this (I glanced and didn't see any hot boards on this), I apologize and will go to the correct board if necessary.

    Second, Anti-Norton Virus supposedly doesn't have a firewall. Now is this true or not, because a day ago it popped up saying "There was a recent attempt to attack your computer, but was blocked"

    If I need a firewall, anyone know of one I should download.
    AVG blocked my dad's e-mail outlook
    ZoneAlarm kept popping up asking repeatedly do you want to run this program (it has been run before) to the point where all I heard was whining (see I have it on my laptop and am used to it, but the other members on the family computer were not).
    Commondo really didn't work too well either.

    I know when I was working at AVON they had a anti-virus that had a blue logo and a sort of yellow like heart monitor line. But I forgot what the program was called, except I'm sure someone said its free.


    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    @localhost
    Posts
    6,067

    Default

    If your 'patched' and run updated AV then theres nothing to worry about. Every few years there is a virus/worm that is "the worst ever." Everybody is "doomed" all this is fanned by media/AV vendor hype and it has been awhile, remember the y2k virus, the I love you virus, the JPEG (trojan) just to name a few?
    Its all overblown. Nothing is going to happen on April 1st. We will all wake up safe.

    Anti-Norton Virus supposedly doesn't have a firewall.
    Most security suites have a firewall these days
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shelf life View Post
    If your 'patched' and run updated AV then theres nothing to worry about. Every few years there is a virus/worm that is "the worst ever." Everybody is "doomed" all this is fanned by media/AV vendor hype and it has been awhile, remember the y2k virus, the I love you virus, the JPEG (trojan) just to name a few?
    Its all overblown. Nothing is going to happen on April 1st. We will all wake up safe.


    Most security suites have a firewall these days
    Yes, but even microsoft made a post about it. Microsoft put up about $200,000 for whoever fixes the problem.

    Maybe the other ones were a joke, but for this one, It is no joke.

    I also downloaded the symantec malicious remover just in case. I will run around my room if this is all a joke tomorrow...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default The April First DoomsDay Question

    Who believes this?

    Microsoft Post: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...icker.mspx#EQB

    Whether this may be a joke or not, safety first. I have set up my Avast! Antivirus to "High" protection, scanned with no infected files except for a decompression bomb somewhere in my TEMP folders which I have no idea what that is.

    Scanned and fully updated with SpyBot search & destroy, also no infected files.

    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall Up and running, also updated of course.

    Everything is updated, PC was updated from automatic updates, instructions followed.

    Just one question:

    Do I need to leave my computer on until it is april 2nd?

    Thanks in advance.

    PS: Anything that I should do to maximize security, please post! Also, Good luck to all PC users, may the virus not end up on your PC.

    PSS: Sorry for editing, I'm also new to the forums so most of the functions here are very different to me! Sorry!
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-04-01 at 15:38. Reason: Merged two topics

  5. #5
    Member of Team Spybot tashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30,471

    Default

    Hello andresxdude,
    Quote Originally Posted by andresxdude View Post
    Who believes this?

    Microsoft Post: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...icker.mspx#EQB

    Whether this may be a joke or not,
    With millions of computers infected by Conficker, no it is not a joke.

    The April 1st doomsday media hype was a non event, however Conficker is very much alive.

    Keep your computer patched and security software up to date.

    So how did I get infected in the first place?

    Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello andresxdude,


    With millions of computers infected by Conficker, no it is not a joke.

    The April 1st doomsday media hype was a non event, however Conficker is very much alive.

    Keep your computer patched and security software up to date.

    So how did I get infected in the first place?

    Best regards.
    Thanks, I just got back today and nothing bad has happened and I also ran a scan to make sure. I'm clean!

    HopeFully I'll stay that way until this conficker thing is resolved..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •