Thread: The April First DoomsDay Question

Default The April First DoomsDay Question

I have two main concerns already.

I already am running something called Symantec W32.Download since I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009. But is there something special or important that I should have for protection against this conficker April Fools non joke worm. If I'm in the wrong spot for this (I glanced and didn't see any hot boards on this), I apologize and will go to the correct board if necessary.

Second, Anti-Norton Virus supposedly doesn't have a firewall. Now is this true or not, because a day ago it popped up saying "There was a recent attempt to attack your computer, but was blocked"

If I need a firewall, anyone know of one I should download.
    AVG blocked my dad's e-mail outlook
    ZoneAlarm kept popping up asking repeatedly do you want to run this program (it has been run before) to the point where all I heard was whining (see I have it on my laptop and am used to it, but the other members on the family computer were not).
    Commondo really didn't work too well either.

I know when I was working at AVON they had a anti-virus that had a blue logo and a sort of yellow like heart monitor line. But I forgot what the program was called, except I'm sure someone said its free.

Thanks in advance.

Emeritus

If your 'patched' and run updated AV then theres nothing to worry about. Every few years there is a virus/worm that is "the worst ever." Everybody is "doomed" all this is fanned by media/AV vendor hype and it has been awhile, remember the y2k virus, the I love you virus, the JPEG (trojan) just to name a few?
    Its all overblown. Nothing is going to happen on April 1st. We will all wake up safe.

Anti-Norton Virus supposedly doesn't have a firewall.
    Most security suites have a firewall these days
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Quote Originally Posted by shelf life View Post
    If your 'patched' and run updated AV then theres nothing to worry about. Every few years there is a virus/worm that is "the worst ever." Everybody is "doomed" all this is fanned by media/AV vendor hype and it has been awhile, remember the y2k virus, the I love you virus, the JPEG (trojan) just to name a few?
    Its all overblown. Nothing is going to happen on April 1st. We will all wake up safe.

Most security suites have a firewall these days
    Yes, but even microsoft made a post about it. Microsoft put up about $200,000 for whoever fixes the problem.

Maybe the other ones were a joke, but for this one, It is no joke.

I also downloaded the symantec malicious remover just in case. I will run around my room if this is all a joke tomorrow...

Default The April First DoomsDay Question

Who believes this?

Microsoft Post: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...icker.mspx#EQB

Whether this may be a joke or not, safety first. I have set up my Avast! Antivirus to "High" protection, scanned with no infected files except for a decompression bomb somewhere in my TEMP folders which I have no idea what that is.

Scanned and fully updated with SpyBot search & destroy, also no infected files.

Windows Defender and Windows Firewall Up and running, also updated of course.

Everything is updated, PC was updated from automatic updates, instructions followed.

Just one question:

Do I need to leave my computer on until it is april 2nd?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Anything that I should do to maximize security, please post! Also, Good luck to all PC users, may the virus not end up on your PC.

PSS: Sorry for editing, I'm also new to the forums so most of the functions here are very different to me! Sorry!
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-04-01 at 16:38. Reason: Merged two topics

Hello andresxdude,
    Quote Originally Posted by andresxdude View Post
    Who believes this?

Microsoft Post: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...icker.mspx#EQB

Whether this may be a joke or not,
    With millions of computers infected by Conficker, no it is not a joke.

The April 1st doomsday media hype was a non event, however Conficker is very much alive.

Keep your computer patched and security software up to date.

So how did I get infected in the first place?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello andresxdude,

With millions of computers infected by Conficker, no it is not a joke.

The April 1st doomsday media hype was a non event, however Conficker is very much alive.

Keep your computer patched and security software up to date.

So how did I get infected in the first place?

Best regards.
    Thanks, I just got back today and nothing bad has happened and I also ran a scan to make sure. I'm clean!

HopeFully I'll stay that way until this conficker thing is resolved..