Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the joke on us .. ???

Hi chewd,

In Windows Vista (I may be incorrect), the Windows Update function usually does not appear in IE, but rather in a Window.

Ok... But can i still access Windows update via IE?? Or will i be redirected to the window??

I don't have Windows Vista. Just merely screenshots of it. If you have Windows Vista you can always give it a shot and access the Windows Update site via Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Esteemed Member

Short answer, even starting from IE will open the Microsoft/Windows Automatic Updates control panel. For more, see the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...ws_Server_2008

Bitman

I've read some of the links about Conficker and my desktop seem to be have some of those symptoms.
    Just yesterday, it was unresponsive when I tried to shut it down and today, I can't seem to access the internet, but MSN Messenger is working fine.

My favorites:

- http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001643.html
    March 31, 2009 - "... In summary: Conficker has activated. So far -nothing- has actually happened."

- http://windowssecrets.com/comp/090330#story1
    2009-03-30 - "... Conficker.C interferes with access to sites containing the following strings (as well as scores of other strings not shown here) in any portion of the URL:
    antivir ca. cert. conficker f-secure kaspersky mcafee
    microsoft msdn. msft. norton panda safety.live sans
    symantec technet trendmicro windowsupdate
    ... the only people who can access the Conficker removal tools these writers recommend are people whose PCs are -not- infected with Conficker.C... BitDefender has set up a new domain from which users can download free Conficker disinfectant utilities..."
    - http://www.bdtools.net/how-to-remove-downadup.php

The machine has no brain.
    ......... Use your own.
    Browser check for updates here.
    YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
    Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

Nice little article:
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=113668

Quote Originally Posted by PC Advisor
    This may just mean the people who control Conficker are biding their time, waiting for researchers and IT managers to relax their guard and assume the worst is over.

"It would be pretty stupid for the guys running Conficker to use the first possible opportunity, when everybody is very excited about it and looking at it very carefully," Dirro said. "If something was going to happen, it would probably happen in a couple of days."

It would be pretty stupid for the guys running Conficker to use the first possible opportunity...
    They already did the "stupid" thing when they released it in the first place - now they have a $250,000 bounty that hangs over their head like the sword of Damocles. One of their "buddies" will probably try to collect on it...

- http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001644.html
    April 1, 2009 @ 04:51 GMT - "So it's been April 1st for almost 18 hours now in New Zealand and it's the early hours of April 1st on the east coast of the United States. So what's going on? So far — nothing..."

The machine has no brain.
    ......... Use your own.
    Browser check for updates here.
    YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
    Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

Hi, folks...

Just wondering, does Firefox mitigate this (or other) threat?

Thanks for all the info given (thanklessly) here, esp. on this threat.

Cheerage pfa

PS: could I ask a HijackThis question here? I cannot update it: Misc Tools/"Check for update online"/"Use this proxy server (host:port):" {empty box}, sends me to TrendSecure Download page.

Thanks again. I'll post the HJT Q elsewhere, if necc.
    Last edited by pfa11; 2009-04-02 at 11:30.

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfa11 View Post
    Hi, folks...

Just wondering, does Firefox mitigate this (or other) threat?

Thanks for all the info given (thanklessly) here, esp. on this threat.

Cheerage pfa
    No, Conficker originally took advantage of a vulnerability in the operating system itself, as well as others relating to network shares and Autorun with removeable devices in later versions.

Firefox is not a security product, it's a browser with its own security vulnerabilities. The confusion is due to the fact that Firefox doesn't natively support ActiveX, so it can't run some of the things that Internet Explorer can, which means its not normally susceptible to these sepcific exploits. However, it has its own vulnerabilities and with add-ons may have even more, so don't believe those who think its inherently 'more secure', this is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfa11 View Post
    PS: could I ask a HijackThis question here? I cannot update it: Misc Tools/"Check for update online"/"Use this proxy server (host:port):" {empty box}, sends me to TrendSecure Download page.

Thanks again. I'll post the HJT Q elsewhere, if necc.
    If you have an older version of HJT, it may have preceeded the current version which is now provided by TrendMicro, who acquired it a couple years ago now as I recall.

Bitman