Thread: Windows Genuine Advantage?

Default Windows Genuine Advantage?

Beginning either yesterday or the day before, my computer has brought up a window (Windows Genuine Advantage) prompting me to validate my copy of Windows. At first, I feared this was some sort of virus/malware, but it's obviously not; it is a Microsoft program. What is the purpose and should I go through with it? TIA...

Default windows genuine advantage...

Is a tool that checks to make sure your computer is running a legit version of windows. The tool might not have validated you correctly, and is giving a false statement that your computer is nonlegal.

See the following links for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/PiRaCy/

See here for information on how to run the test again to look to make sure your copy is genuine:

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/

(for the page above, click validate windows.)

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/mpa.aspx

In any rate though, let us know what is going on.

1.)Did just one day you started getting the illegal or non genuine messages out of nowhere?

2.) Where did you buy your computer from?
    3.) Was windows pre-installed or did someone install it for you?

More information would be useful also, such as Windows version (XP, vista, etc.) ; what type of computer, compaq, Hp, etc.

It is possible you could be a victim of software piracy. However if you bought your computer from a store or manufacturer, the copy of windows would be definitely genuine; But if you bought it from a pawn shop or a "corner store" it is possible that the windows version you have is illegal. Don't hesitate to contact Microsoft if you do find out that your copy is illegal. Explain to them where you bought it, how long you have had it, and any other information you can provide. They will assist you in getting a valid copy of windows.
    Last edited by 129260; 2009-04-02 at 16:39.

1) Yes, and I'm pretty sure it was yesterday (4/1/09), and I immediately thought it was a malware pop-up, and then proceeded to think, "conficker?!?!".

2) A friend of mine who assembles computers built it for me, purchasing everything from New Egg or Tiger Direct. A few years ago I had a problem ( I believe it was a hardware/software issue and not some sort of virus) and the hard drive had to be wiped. I took it to a different friend who works on PC's for a living who reloaded and fixed everything for me. At the time he told me it WAS a valid and genuine copy of windows XP.

3) Windows was installed for me.

Well, I followed the link you posted and attempted to validate my version of Windows. I believe it DID validate as genuine, here is the message I received after going through the process:

Validation Complete!

Thank you for completing the validation process and for using genuine Microsoft software.

By using genuine Microsoft software, you can be confident that you will have access to the latest features, security, and support, which will help to improve your productivity and expand the capabilities of your computer.

You will also have access to new innovations and offerings available only to genuine Microsoft software customers.

That means I'm alright? Furthermore, why did this start popping up only yesterday? I've owned this computer for ~4 years, and it's been over 2 years since the crash and XP was reloaded. Thanks for the help.

Esteemed Member

There are two main reasons that WGA will activate on an existing PC. One is that something that WGA monitors about the PC has changed, such as Processor, RAM, Hard Drive, and last I knew, even printer. This might mean that the PC itself has changed, so WGA activates to confirm that the change is only minor, i.e. you've added RAM or replaced the Hard Drive.

The other reason is when a change occurs to WGA itself, since then it needs to be updated. This often occurs because of either bugs or more likely, the addition of protection for malicious code that attempts to circumvent the WGA, primarily as a way to allow using illegal copies long term.

Since I just recently received one of these myself, this might be related to a new version of WGA being released. Sometimes these occur within a group of the normal monthly updates on Black Tuesday, so you might not even notice. In this case the update came on its own just a few days ago.

In any case it's normal and it appears your PC passed or you'd have received a different message telling you how to acquire a legal copy.

Bitman

Great, thank you for the response. I figured it wasn't anything major or malicious, but these days it seems you cannot be too careful...

Lightbulb Great!

Quote Originally Posted by ILLZNIK31 View Post
    Great, thank you for the response. I figured it wasn't anything major or malicious, but these days it seems you cannot be too careful...
    I am glad bitman and I were able to answer your questions. I'm glad to hear that everything resolved now.