Thread: IE7 Administrator Immunization

Default IE7 Administrator Immunization

I run Windows XP Home SP3, with IE7 and Firefox for browsers and AVG Free for antivirus. Recently, a friend removed a virus from my system; since then, I've had trouble with immunization, Specifically, four entries in the "Internet Explorer 32/64 Bit" section show items that Spybot cannot immunize. The items are as follows:
    Administrator (computer ID) Cookies 193 unprot, 0 prot, 193 total
    Administrator (computer ID) Domains 10502 unprot, 0 prot, 10502 total
    Administrator (computer ID) IPs 36 unprot, 0 prot, 36 total
    Administrator (computer ID) Secure Domains 10502 unprot, 0 prot, 10502 total
    I've tried running Spybot as Administrator, but I get this message: "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." I checked the services but could find nothing that appeared to need to be restarted. Per another post in the Forum, I uninstalled and completely deleted Spybot, then cleaned out the Registry using CCleaner, then downloaded and reinstalled Spybot; there was no change. I've cleaned out the AVG Virus Vault, but to no avail. I've seen several posts in the Forum about problems with Firefox entries, but nothing helpful about IE7. Do you have any suggestions about things to try, either about the immunization process in general (I close all browsers before immunizing, as recommended), or about this message in particular?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Hi CRBlair,

to Safer Networking Forums.

If you have problems with the Immunization, you could read this thread.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Default Already checked

Matt, I saw that post the first time through. I followed the AVG link, which led me to clearing my Virus Vault. The Vista stuff doesn't help me (since I run under XP). One of the links suggests undoing my immunization, but I can't figure out how to do that (at least for IE7). Are there any other things I could try (including undoing my IE immunization, if you can tell me how to do it)?
    Rhanks
    CRBlair

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

CRBlair:

Quote Originally Posted by CRBlair View Post
    … Recently, a friend removed a virus from my system; since then, I've had trouble with immunization, Specifically, four entries in the "Internet Explorer 32/64 Bit" section show items that Spybot cannot immunize. The items are as follows:
    Administrator (computer ID) Cookies 193 unprot, 0 prot, 193 total
    Administrator (computer ID) Domains 10502 unprot, 0 prot, 10502 total
    Administrator (computer ID) IPs 36 unprot, 0 prot, 36 total
    Administrator (computer ID) Secure Domains 10502 unprot, 0 prot, 10502 total
    From the above information it appears that you may have a "User Account" with a username of "Administrator" (Control panel » User Accounts (if in "Category View" mode) » User Accounts), is that correct?

Prior to your friend removing the virus from your system did you have or use a "User Account" named "Administrator"?

What username were you logged onto when you are unable to immunize the user account "Administrator"?

… I've tried running Spybot as Administrator, but I get this message: "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." …
    Are you indicating that when you logon unto the user account named "Administrator" you get that message?

If you didn't have or normally don't use a username of "Administrator" prior to the fixing of the system, deleting the username of "Administrator" could correct the problem.

_____

... One of the links suggests undoing my immunization, but I can't figure out how to do that (at least for IE7). ...
    Try going into Spybot > Immunize, do an "Undo" by clicking on the "Undo" button at the top of the right hand pane>

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Still trying

md usa spybot fan, forgive the delay--I was trying the things you suggested, with not-so-successful results.
    First, I do have an "Administrator" account. I didn't create it, so it must have been created by the virus that was removed. I've tried to remove it, but it doesn't show up on my "User Accounts" screen, so I wasn't successful.
    By the way, my normal account is "Roger."
    Next, I got the message I mentioned when I tried to run Spybot "As Administrator."
    Finally, I tried undoing the immunization and redoing it, but I ended up with the same result.
    If you could tell me how to delete the Administrator account, you'll be doing more than Microsoft's help system did.
    Thanks.

Default Logging in doesn't help

I found out on a Microsoft forum that to access the "Administrator" account, I had to log on in Safe Mode. I did so, and ran Spybot immunization; the "Administrator" entries were not processed. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to process the "Administrator" entries?