Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tea Timer.exe slowing start-up

Question Tea Timer.exe slowing start-up

I've been using SB S&D for a couple of years now, and recently tea timer has been significantly slowing down my start-up. I am running Windows XP svc pack 3 and IE 7. When I check windows task manager i see that the app is using about 8GB of memory on start-up, which is interfering with me opening up any other apps until tea timer completes its start-up.

Right now my main solution is to remove Spybot, but I would like to keep using it, but this slow down is very annoying. Any suggestions for dealing with this issue?

Thank you.

You can only disable TeaTimer protection to get some memory. However, you won't be protected anymore by TeaTimer.
    TeaTimer loads some files from Includes folder which are used to detect some bad processes or registry change. However, loading these files takes a lot of CPU and Memory usage.
    To disable TeaTimer, go to Spybot-S&D > Tools > Resident and clear (untick) the checkbox named: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.

I'd suggest you disable the Resident Shield, not remove the whole anti-spyware program. :o)

I think you made a typo with 8GB of memory consummation during bootup.

Default Tea timer vs. Resident Shield

What's the difference between the resident shield & the tea timer?
    I would be happy to keep tea timer running, but having to wait 20 minutes for my laptop to start-up is crazy.

Thanks.

There is no diffrence between Resident Shield and TeaTimer (Altough, in future 2.0 Spybot-S&D Resident Shield won't be named TeaTimer anymore).

The problem for CPU usage is Priority. TeaTimer uses Low priority, which makes loading very long. AFAIK, there is no way to fix it.

Slow startup and protection or Fast startup and no protection, you will need to decide.

Slowdowns during startup isn't a significant issue on machines equipped with lots of resources. My machine can log on in a split 5 seconds (login screen to desktop) however opening a browser or any other program for example might lag a bit (on 512MB of RAM).

I'd rather take the slow bootup and have the protection.

Default Ending TeaTimer

When I'm in a hurry to start my laptop and can't wait for the 20 minute TeaTimer.exe to start up, I end it in Windows Task Manager during boot up. So far this hasn't caused any ill effects other than limiting protection until I reboot the computer.

hi, so to say.. when will they get around to giving teatimer a higher priority.. item can have a great affect, amount of memory "withstanding". have many problems, sorry to say.. za crashing my pc.. turning off my security i've been using for awhile with, it would seem them turning off my system backup restore.. many apps I have to run.. sometimes loosing **4 digits** with every kestroke, left with my tea-timer & many many apps have to run for my purposes, I can only do what I can do.. sorry explain,

my request is if we can get motivated and give us some support on the priority setting be able to set to normal? just have to deal with it isn't working. not only slow boot, "slow operation". do you get what a 100% barrier is? can have a series of them, not just someone's guesse at maybe 5%.. point is that without being advised of this short comming up front, priority-item could itselft be called a form of malware..

Quote Originally Posted by mxmil View Post
    hi, so to say.. when will they get around to giving teatimer a higher priority.. item can have a great affect, amount of memory "withstanding". have many problems, sorry to say.. za crashing my pc.. turning off my security i've been using for awhile with, it would seem them turning off my system backup restore.. many apps I have to run.. sometimes loosing **4 digits** with every kestroke, left with my tea-timer & many many apps have to run for my purposes, I can only do what I can do.. sorry explain,

my request is if we can get motivated and give us some support on the priority setting be able to set to normal? just have to deal with it isn't working. not only slow boot, "slow operation". do you get what a 100% barrier is? can have a series of them, not just someone's guesse at maybe 5%.. point is that without being advised of this short comming up front, priority-item could itselft be called a form of malware..
    What the heck are you rambling about? it's kind of like English, thanks for trying though. I think your basic point is that due to the low priority status, TeaTimer slows the system down too much and that not disclosing this prior to download is in essence a form of malware. If that was your point then I would agree 100%. Any better options?

Here's SOMETHING that MAY help SOME of you

When you open up the SpyBot program from your Desktop Icon, then click on the "Mode" (Toolbar) just to the right of "File".....and check "Advanced".

Once you have done that, look on the left hand side of your window for a small "bar" that says "Settings".....then look for a sub-category called "Settings". It is there that you can probably fix your problem.
    Last edited by rivermandave; 2010-01-24 at 06:57.