Thread: Virtumonde? ... Hijack this and Spybot S&D wont run

Default Virtumonde? ... Hijack this and Spybot S&D wont run

Hi,

About two months ago I got a Virtumonde infection. I was blindly using Spybot S&D and Windows Defender to try and remove it (I didn't know about this forum). After about a week I got lucky and some how disabled it, but I believe there are still some components present. When I start my computer, a couple windows pop up and with an error, "Run .dll as program," but the libraries are missing.

Of course, instead of being smart and making sure my computer was now safe, I was lazy and just happy that I could browse the internet again.
    I'm won't make that mistake again (just read the "Why did I get infected in the first place?"-- god that would have been helpful)

Two days ago I was on the internet and I got infected with something again. Teatimer and Spybot's Immunizer were running but were unable to prevent the attack. A window kept popping up every five seconds about a registry change (Which I always denied), then I checked "remember decision," and teatimer stopped bothering me, but the spyware was installed.

It mainly shows up if I try to click on a link in a search engine. Instead of the link it opens something else in a new window.

It also prevents me from using some programs. I can't open Spybot S&D. I downloaded Hijack this, but that wont run either. I click on it, and it asks me if I want to run the program. I click "Yes" and an hour glass shows up for ten seconds and nothing else happens (same thing with Spybot). Oh, and my computer doesn't find an external storage device if I plug it in. Also, occasionally when I try to open firefox, it opens and closes really quickly, and I'm unable to use it. I think it also removed all of my system restore points.

Anyway, what should I do next if I can't create a log with Hijackthis?
    Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I'm still surprised a forum like this exists... there are, apparently, redeeming qualities of being human.

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hiya

Okay sounds interesting...

Let's try renaming the HijackThis

Rename HijackThis.exe to skanneri.exe by doing the following;

• Navigate here using Windows Explorer (windows button + E) or My Computer Local Disk C: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
    • Right-click on the HijackThis.exe
    • Choose from the pull-down menu; "Rename"
    • And now Rename HijackThis.exe to skanneri.exe
    • When you've renamed HijackThis, open HijackThis again.
    • Take a fresh HijackThis log (click Do a system scan and save a log file)
    • Post the fresh HijackThis log here.

(I assume that you've installed the TrendMicro Hjiackthis)
    MalWare Removal University - You too could train to help others
    UNITE & ASAP member since 2006

Default log

Okay,

Thanks so much for responding.

A friend tried booting my computer in safe mode to try and install Hijack this, and it wouldn't even start in safe mode.

Sorry I wasn't clear the first time, but it wasn't letting me install Hijack this. I changed the name of the hijackthis.exe file to skanneri just for the hell of it, and after restarting the computer it finally installed. Not sure if that is a coincidence. I had literally tried like a hundred times.

Also, the "pehuraba.dll" and "tawagifi.dll" were the leftovers from my last infestation. They try and fail to start up every time I start my computer.

Here's my log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 1:22:15 PM, on 4/11/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&...us&ibd=6080401
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = http://www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&...us&ibd=6080401
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe,
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B6CFA981-A6D3-4559-A31E-793A6712BFE3} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\tuvtursQ.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B71F391C-38E4-43E6-9025-0760FE57A3A2} - c:\windows\system32\twbxytp.dll
    O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\Dell\BAE\BAE.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {eccb6e31-6cec-4fa5-b73b-d8e36654fdb3} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\fuwubidu.dll (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDVDDXSrv] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [d8396e0b] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\tawagifi.dll",b
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nidajulopa] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\pehuraba.dll",s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: c:\windows\system32\popezaho.dll c:\windows\system32\vizaratu.dll c:\windows\system32\zulahigu.dll c:\windows\system32\wepakezu.dll c:\windows\system32\duhavevo.dll,C:\WINDOWS\system32\tudumupu.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: ddcCRLFw - ddcCRLFw.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: janjboya - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\twbxytp.dll
    O21 - SSODL: SSODL - {EC43E3FD-5C60-46a6-97D7-E0B85DBDD6C4} - c:\windows\system32\duhavevo.dll (file missing)
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: STS - {EC43E3FD-5C60-46a6-97D7-E0B85DBDD6C4} - c:\windows\system32\duhavevo.dll (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe

--
    End of file - 7396 bytes

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi

I must warn that one or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and Download and Execute files

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the Trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of Trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
    When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

However, if you do not have the resources to reinstall your computer and would like me to attempt to clean it, I will be happy to do so.
    Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Please let us know what you have decided to do in your next post.

Thank you for your help. I'm going to reformat and reinstall.

I'd love to meet the bastard responsible for putting this on my machine...

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi again, I'll respect you decicion to do a clean install.

Please make sure that you know what to do before beginning the operation.

Here are a few links that propably help.

When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?
    Windows XP Clean install

Then there are a couple of things you should do immediately after installing Windows and before surfing the net...
    • Install an antivirus and firewall (you should download and have those on a CD or USB drive, all ready to be installed).

These are good (free) firewalls:
      - Kerio
      - Sygate
      - Outpost

These are good (free) antiviruses:
      - Antivir
      - Avast
      - AVG
    • Get all Windows updates installed!

Please ask me if you have any questions

Then here are a few things that you can do in order to make your fresh computer more secure: