Thread: Program won't start.

Default Program won't start.

I've recently downloaded the program to see what i have on my system.
    The downloading went ok and so did the updating. When i try to start the program all i get is the loading timer then nothing. Has anyone else had this problem or know whats causing it?

Greatful for any help.

Mike.

You could try booting into safe mode,and see if Spybot will start then:
    Reboot your computer into SafeMode by doing the following:

• Restart your computer
    • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, begin tapping F8.
    • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
    • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Once logged into windows in safe mode,see if Spybot will open and run a scan then.
    Please let me know how it goes.

I am having the same issue. I had the latest version installed, it suddenly quit displaying the gui so I uninstalled it and downloaded and installed the latest version again.

I then went into safe mode and uninstalled spybot again, then opened regedit and removed all references to spybot and to safer-networking, and in the Programs folder removed the spybot directory. I then reinstalled the latest version. I still have the same problem - the hour-glass for a few seconds then no gui, and task manager shows SpybotSD.exe is running, even though in the Applications/Task window it is not listed. The teatimer is running and I can right-click on it and choose update and it updates fine. When I click on Run SpybotSD it shows the hour-glass for a few seconds and then it goes away and there is no gui.

I am using XP with sp3 and all updates.

Just rebooted and in normal XP mode, of course spybot still does not run, but also - adaware also is not running, has the same problem, and another anti-spyware app I have installed also has the same problem.

Could this be a virus/worm/trojan/malware?

It sounds like a malware infection (malware that disables security software).
    Read this post:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...82&postcount=3
    -

Yep, that's what it was, I didn't write down what it was though, sorry. I did have to uninstall and reinstall SpyBot. Then I started it from the .scr file, scanned and cleaned two infections. Rebooted, scanned and cleaned 1 more infection. Rebooted, scanned and all is well. Spybot is working properly now.

Hi chipw,

thank you for this update. Which infection did Spybot find? I would recommend that you use one or two other AntiSpyware tools as well, just to be sure that you are completely clean.
    Last edited by Matt; 2009-04-16 at 12:08.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt