Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot/Spywareblaster conflict CasaleMedia

Default Spybot/Spywareblaster conflict CasaleMedia

Once again, it appears that today's SpyBot Immunization is removing protection from an IE restricted site that's being placed there by SpywareBlaster; specifically, CasaleMedia.com

I realize such conflicts seem to happen "once in a while"... I'm reporting it so that the "powers that be" be made aware, and decide how (if at all) to reconcile matters.

Talking

I'm having this problem as well. Its a relief to know that I'm not alone in experiancing this issue.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

"Its a relief to know that I'm not alone in experiancing this issue".

Since I've confirmed the cause/effect relationship on more than one machine, I can only conclude that the conflict/removal is part of the programming... meaning that EVERYONE who uses both SpywareBlaster and Spybot should expecience this issue upon accessing immunization in SpyBot.

Of course, not everyone who opens SpywareBlaster may take note of the disabled entry...

I have also reported the problem at the SpywareBlaster forum. And I'm surprised by the minimal response in each forum so far.

just like to comfirm its not just you two,i also experince the same issiue.
    in fact i came here to post this.

I'm getting the same thing too, probably a lot of people are.

@ ky3311
    I've posted about it on your thread in the SpywareBlaster forum too.

FYI: The CasaleMedia conflict continues, after today's (4/22/2009) SpyBot update...

Hi,

(almost) everybody will have this little "problem" with Spybot and SpywareBlaster... please remember, we had such a discussion a few weeks before:
    XTROcash (2) unchecked in spywareblaster due to SpyBot?

Well, to explain it in very simple english, it seems that Spybot and SpywareBlaster have a different "opinion" (recarding bad downloads, etc.) according to this internet site.

Bitman explained it already very well.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Esteemed Member

ky331,

From your posts here I can tell that you at least technically understand what is happening here. However, I'm not certain that these differences between Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster are being understood at a philosphical level, nor how easy it is for you to resolve them without changes to either program's database.

Though in the past both programs have appeared to always agree on the status of 'blocked' sites where they overlap, on occasion there have been differences, though generally temporary as you've mentioned. Though this may not really have changed, it's completely possible that it might, so I don't believe we can assume the programs will always attempt to remain 'in sync'.

Since the philosophy of what is a 'bad' site that requires protection is highly subjective, it's common for different security programs to have wildly different opinions and thus different sets of similar protections in place. Though in some cases these differences merely 'overlap', in others they can appear to 'conflict' as in this particular case. However, this situation isn't really a 'conflict', since neither program's operation is actually affected, it's simply a difference of opinion on one (and over time potentially more) site(s).

Since Spybot S&D contains the [necessary] ability to remove old 'orphaned' entries that have changed so they aren't forever left in the registry, when an entry is removed from the blocked list it will also be removed from the registry during a fresh Immunization, which you have noticed. So if Spybot S&D is run after SpywareBlaster, it will remove any corresponding entries that the Spybot Team have decided to remove the protection for, no matter what the reason.

The solution here is obvious. Simply decide which program of the two you wish to 'trust' the most, or alternatively whether you prefer the 'most' sites blocked or the 'most selectively chosen'. SpywareBlaster's list has always been larger, but has also seemed to be slightly less well maintained than the Spybot Immunizations, though this is just personal my observation not deep analysis.

Once you've made this decision, simply execute the program who's selections you prefer most last. This will result in either the removal of one or more individual Restricted Sites entry by Spybot S&D or the combination of all sites contained in both if SpywareBlaster is executed last. This solution is simple and removes any concern for differences between the two program's lists which will continue to occur as the lists evolve.

Bitman

Bitman,

I simply posted here as an "advisory", so that "the powers that be" --- as well as any users experiencing this conflict --- will have the matter documented on public record. I am not trying to force either program/party to make changes.

We're only talking about one site here, which is not worth debating the pros & cons; my personal preference is to use/combine both programs, re-applying SpywareBlaster after immunizing by SpyBot.

Question: You wrote: "SpywareBlaster's list has always been larger". By my count, the current version of SpywareBlaster protects [only] 4,826 restricted sites, whereas SpyBot protects 10,548 "domains" (which I believe is the proper comparison); and of these, they share 1,291 in common. How is SpywareBlaster's list "larger"?
    Last edited by ky331; 2009-04-22 at 18:36.

Esteemed Member

Shows how closely I've been watching these since I stopped using Immunization on all but an old Windows 2000 PC over two years ago.

You're correct, there was explosive growth in the Restricted Sites portion of Immunization starting in June of 2007 when they nearly doubled from 3,366 to 5,561 entries. Since then they've almost doubled again, so now Spybot's list nearly engulfs SpywareBlaster.

Personally, I just recently reinstalled Windows 2000 on that old system, so I've only bothered to put Spybot S&D back in operation. From this discussion I don't think I'll bother with SpywareBlaster myself, since I know more about how the Spybot Team operates and tend to trust their list more anyway. I especially like that they built in the very clean-up feature we're discussing, since otherwise it was possible for these domains to remain in your resgistry for ever, unless you took the time to 'Undo' Immunization before every update to Spybot S&D.

I understood what you were saying, but I believe this issue is really insignificant and those who are bothered by it should simply stop using either SpywareBlaster or the Immunize feature of Spybot, since these inconsistencies will continue to pop up in the future and only serve to irritate them over and over again.

Bitman