Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Userinit.exe doesn't initialize, even when i use run new task

Default Userinit.exe doesn't initialize, even when i use run new task

so I turn on my computer, it loads XP just fine, and then when I get to my password screen, i type in my password correctly, and then it loads my desktop background and NOTHING ELSE.

when this happened before, and all i did was ctrl+alt+del to open up task manager, and from there go to the Run new task and type in "userinit.exe" and half the time the rest of XP would load up normally (ie my desktop icons, start menu, etc). now this doesn't even work. i run "userinit.exe" and nothing happens.

Is Spybot S&D somehow blocking userinit.exe? i was having a problem with this exe file before and i thought i fixed it. How can I change SpybotS&D from blocking this when I can't even log in fully?

I really need help on this, i need to log in fully to access an important paper.

Thanks for any feedback,

Ryan

i just uninstalled spybot s&d to see if that would stop it from blocking userinit.exe but it didn't work

Have you fixed anything with spybot?
    Can you run in safe mode?
    Can you run system restore (Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\restore\rstrui.exe) and use restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    Have you fixed anything with spybot?
    Can you run in safe mode?
    Can you run system restore (Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\restore\rstrui.exe) and use restoration?

1. spybot asked me if i wanted to allow change to some startup values a while back, and i hit "deny change" on all of them, so i don't think i fixed anything

2. i tried running in safe mode, the same thing happens: i can log in but userinit.exe doesn't load, and nothing on my desktop not even the start bar at the bottom loads

3. do you mean just go to Run new task and type in "rstrui.exe" and that should restore my userinit value?

thanks,

ryan

It seems that you have by denying all of changes cause this problem.

Can you run Spybot-S&D (path: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy) and then go to Settings > Resident and copy the whole log and paste it here?

Actually, it's better to type whole path to System Restore (C:\WINDOWS\System32\restore\rstrui.exe). You should restore to the last checkpoint which was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    It seems that you have by denying all of changes cause this problem.

Can you run Spybot-S&D (path: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy) and then go to Settings > Resident and copy the whole log and paste it here?

Actually, it's better to type whole path to System Restore (C:\WINDOWS\System32\restore\rstrui.exe). You should restore to the last checkpoint which was made.

hi, sorry it's been a while, i've been using a different computer because i've been busy at school. anyway, i tried finding going to advanced mode -> settings, but i can't find this "resident" log. am i looking in the right place?

also, could you clarify what typing in the "restrui.exe" path will do to my computer? i don't want to mess it up more than it already is

thanks,

ryan

, sorry, i gave wrong path to log. You should go to Tools > Resident and copy the log from it.

Just run task "C:\WINDOWS\System32\restore\rstrui.exe" to run System Restore, othervise, you'll probably run something else. Then select first option and select the day and time before the problem come.

i just went to tools -> resident but i got the error "text exceeds memo capacity"

so since i can't copy the resident log, is there a way I can stop spybot s&d, specifically (i think) teatimer.exe from blocking userinit.exe?

thanks

Just use System Restore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K
    Just run task "C:\WINDOWS\System32\restore\rstrui.exe" to run System Restore, othervise, you'll probably run something else. Then select first option and select the day and time before the problem come.
    If it still asks for userinit, try to look for userinit.exe and tell how much did the search found and where.