Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleting temp files before scan

Default Deleting temp files before scan

Hello, I've been using SB S&D for awhile now, but I've never needed to ask any questions for help until now. Ever since I first got SB S&D, it prompts me to let it delete the temp files or not to. It's not really a bother, but when I started clicking "yes" a few days ago to delete them, it won't delete them. It says that I have over 1700 files in the folder (upon my last check a few minutes ago) but when I click "yes" to get rid of them, it always says that it can't delete almost all of them because they're in use.

I have checked other posts like:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...emporary+files

some say its due to a virus, or read-only files, etc.

But are they even worth deleting? From what I've heard, they're leftovers from installing programs and such; but since I see so many files in the folder C:/WINDOWS/Temp maybe I might delete something that I should have kept.

Any suggestions?

Well, it doesn't have to be a virus that could result in the error message.

To sum it up, what Spybot-Search&Destroy aims to do by clearing your Temp. Folder is to speed the scan time. Not only that, but this is also a benign function because the Temp folder is not sometimes looked into, so installs, uninstall files could be left over and trojan droppers can also take advantage of this folder.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=33948
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by StayProtected
    But are they even worth deleting? From what I've heard, they're leftovers from installing programs and such; but since I see so many files in the folder C:/WINDOWS/Temp maybe I might delete something that I should have kept.
    That's what you heard, but clearing the Temp folder really does no harm to your system. You have nothing to lose. And I don't see what you can "keep" from that folder since it's useless data, that you cannot use. If you were install something, all that important data and files would be with the program not in the Temp folder.

I see, so I don't need the stuff huh? I get upset everytime I encounter a problem relating to my computer in any way.
    ~StayProtected says: "Please don't criticize me for posting new threads about topics that already have relevant threads. I try my best to look for them before hand".

Hi StayProtected,

to Safer Networking Forums.

First of all, I would recommend that you close all other programs before you open Spybot and scan your computer. Or better: You scan your computer first, and then do some other things.

Moreover, there is a good tool according to delete files from the temp folders:
    ATF Cleaner
    Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. It is a great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

i have a few temp files witch s&d wont remove,there i use by my anti viruis/spyware program and if i was to manually remove them it destroys that program.

webroots program.
    Last edited by kinos; 2009-04-19 at 12:58.

ok this time it didnt.

i did use aft cleaner however it didnt remove all,i had to use killbox.
    witch doesnt help as i have to reboot so i cant scan without them being in place.
    some where in read mode,some where locked one one was hidden.
    however two remain on reboot.

one is hidden file name;etilqs_(random numbers)
    the other is;~DF1F64.tmp

is this malware? by gogling the DF1f64.tmp might be so.
    should i replace them as dummys?
    and should i go into the super admin account and look to delte any there?

also should i know delte the missing autoruns?
    i do have some other autoruns from removed viruis/trojans/malware but i am unsure what to do.

help me before i kill my machine....joke but kwim.

edit due to correcting information.
    Last edited by kinos; 2009-04-19 at 14:29.

the temp file was not malware.
    some time ago i ran the WMI utilty to dignose a problem,now it seems like it wont stop running and is keeps adding temp files.
    is there anyway to stop this tool from running?

Hi kinos,

there's always the possibility to check single files at VirusTotal. But even if it comes up clean, there is no garantee for you that it is 100% clean.

If you are not sure, whether you have some leavings from Malware, you can try open your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum. Therefore, you have to read the thread "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) from tashi carefully and prepare an HijackThis logfile.

I'm sorry, but I don't know the WMI utility...
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Esteemed Member

WMI is Windows Management Instrumentation and connects your antivirus and other security programs to the Windows Security Center to display their status. It should always be running on a system and will create significant problems if it's stopped or removed.

Those particular temporary files are normal and required, so just leave them alone. They along with many others created by other programs and left behind are the reason for the temporary file cleanup feature at Spybot S&D startup. If this isn't performed the time required for a full Spybot S&D scan can increase dramatically as already mentioned, but a small handful of temporary files is normal and won't create significant issues.

Bitman

Quote Originally Posted by kinos View Post
    i had to use killbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinos View Post
    help me before i kill my machine....joke but kwim.
    Be careful.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016