Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deleting temp files before scan

Esteemed Member

Maybe they should change the name of Killbox to 'Suicide'?

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Delet temp files Could not open the file

I've been using Spybot S&E for about a month and never accepted the option to delete Temp. files until today and now every time I send an email I get an error msg tellling me Could not open the file
    and it lists a file in my Documents~\LOCAL~\Temp folder

I read through the Help files but don't see any reference to recovering these deleted Temp files.

I haven't checked all my other programs but so far only Eudora is affected.

Any helpful suggestions?

Esteemed Member

Your problem is with Eudora, not Spybot S&D. Did you have Eudora open when you deleted the temporary files? If so, close it and restart the program and see what happens. Otherwise, try restarting the PC before opening Eudora again.

If this simple troubleshooting doesn't fix the problem, see the Eudora Support site for ideas. Here's a link to a search of their KnowledgeBase for 'temp files':

http://www.eudora.com/search/query.h...b+eudora2&qm=1

Note that more than one of these support articles specifically mention emptying all files from this very same temp folder to resolve issues, so this shouldn't be a problem. You probably just did this while the program was open, which is never a good idea.

Bitman

thanks for the info.

It's been awhile since I started this thread, but when I clicked "Yes" to clear out the files upon running SB this evening it removed almost all of the files this time. Like I said in earlier posts, it retained over 1700 previously but now it cleared them out and about 50 are left. Is there some reason that anybody knows of that might have caused this? Also: I downloaded the latest batch of updates too, maybe that had something to do with it.
    ~StayProtected says: "Please don't criticize me for posting new threads about topics that already have relevant threads. I try my best to look for them before hand".

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea
    You have nothing to lose. And I don't see what you can "keep" from that folder since it's useless data, that you cannot use. If you were install something, all that important data and files would be with the program not in the Temp folder.
    That's basically what I was about to tell you. The latest batch of updates or what ever future updates there may be will not result in Spybot telling you there are excess Temp. files that need to be cleaned out. The general idea of clearing out redundant Temp. files aims to speed up whatever the program will be doing. Whether it is a scan or a defragment. In fact, Auslogic's Disk Defrag suggests that you clear the Temp. files out before you defrag.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post

That's basically what I was about to tell you. The latest batch of updates or what ever future updates there may be will not result in Spybot telling you there are excess Temp. files that need to be cleaned out. The general idea of clearing out redundant Temp. files aims to speed up whatever the program will be doing. Whether it is a scan or a defragment. In fact, Auslogic's Disk Defrag suggests that you clear the Temp. files out before you defrag.
    Great, thanks!
    ~StayProtected says: "Please don't criticize me for posting new threads about topics that already have relevant threads. I try my best to look for them before hand".

Default Temporary files cannot be deleted spybot before scan because they are in use.

Spybot SD says that it cannot delete some 395 temporary files because they are in use.
    I would be very much obliged for suggestions from members of this blog who have come across this problem.