Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Crashing or Shut Down

Thumbs down pc shutsdown while

3/4 through scanning,driving me crazy.....does anyone have any solutions.Everythings ben honky dory until now,my adware goes fine.And ive updated everything and everyone...

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

babe691:

Have you followed the suggestions in this post?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I had this problem with Spybot - the machine would rev up louder and louder until it crashed and rebooted.
    I thought it was the fan or hard drive on the way out. I cured it by uninstalling the updated device drivers I had installed, some of which were not MS approved.

Hello this is my first post on this forum.

I instaled and updated spybot,but when I start the check it freezes after a while and i have to close spybot by the task manager.

Hello,

Why do you put this into this thread?
    Has nothing to do with shut-down.?

Which version of Spybot do you run?
    In case you are using a dated version of Spybot-S&D, as a first solution, please download the latest version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.
    This should fix the problem. You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    Please search for new updates after installing Spybot S&D 1.5.

If this doesn't help please delete the contents of your Windows temp folder.

You can also try the following:
    - select "Settings" --> "Settings" in the navigation bar on the left and untick the checkbox in front of "display confirmation dialogs"
    - exit Spybot-S&D so the settings are saved
    - run Spybot-S&D and "Check for problems" again

Expect it to run slowly, it appears to hang. Please be patient - it should clear with the problems fixed.

If it still doesn't work please select "Settings" --> "Settings" from the toolbar on the left. In the section "Main settings" please untick the checkbox in front of "Create system restore point when fixing spyware/usage tracks".

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks Sandra

I downloaded and reinstaled spybot,and now everything works.

Thumbs up Possible Fix

I went round and round with this on my son's Toshiba Satellite M45-S169 running XP SP2 on a Celeron M processor until I searched for the offending file which was not found in the Windows Temp folder but in Local Settings under the normal Users profile. After closing as many applications as possible, try the following steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer (Right-click the "Start" button and select "Explore")

2. Click Tools - Folder Options - View - Hidden files and folders

3. Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is checked

4. Click "OK"

5. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<Place Your User Name Here>\Local Settings\Temp

6. Look for a file named "1af8A1.tmp_tobedeleted_tobedeleted" (It begins with an "L" not a one or an "I")

7. Highlight the file and depress the Del key

8. When it asks to verify the deletion depress Ctrl and click "Yes"

9. Rerun Spybot to verify that the problem does not reappear.

10. Restart your PC/laptop and then run Spybot once more to verify the files removal.

Hopefully this will work for others as well. Time will tell if this does resolve the issue but it's looking good at this point as the laptop has been restarted a couple of times and the issue has not returned. When through, be sure and go back to steps 1 and 2 making sure you click "Do not show hidden files and folders" and close Windows Explorer.

im sorry if this is already in the fourm
    but im in a tight spot and i need a solution quick

im trying to install spybot
    i select the language and randomly the intstaller will crash
    sometimes after 5 seconds or even sooner

once in a while i will get to where i was actually installing it
    but then it crashes

it only happens on spybotS&D
    i was wondering if this was a virus' work
    or if its just a user error

thanks

Default can't believe it!!

i've tried installing and using the last couple versions/updates of spybot and it has gotten to be nothing but worthless! either won't load, install, or just flat crashes on all of the computers i maintain.

have given up on this bloated, slow garbage and have switched to another program.

i can't believe there are 5 pages of posts on this matter and it's still a rampant issue!

Hi missmoondog58,

Just wondering what version of spybot are you using?