Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Crashing or Shut Down

Hello,

Do you have selected to save the file on disk? Please don't choose to open the file as a download option because you cannot install it through the Internet.

The error seems to be transient in nature and other people seem to have been able to overcome the error by limiting the system resources used by other processes in the system.
    In other words, run as little as possible while running the Spybot-S&D scan.

Some users have reported that they only had problems using the beta version but that the final version would work normally. Have you already tried the final version 1.4? (The reason why you don't see it in the integrated update is because we are still preparing an automatic upgrade process for the new version.) If you like, you can install it manually. Please uninstall the old version of Spybot-S&D before you install the new version:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Please don't forget to manually delete the "Updates" and "Includes" folders in the Spybot S&D program folder. You will find links to several download locations on our website. These mirrors are partners who provide places to host Spybot-S&D for us. You can download from one of them, it's secure: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Please search for new updates after installing Spybot-S&D 1.4.

Or are you using a computer with hyperthreading technology (Intel with HTT)? Spybot-S&D seems to have problems with this technology but we cannot confirm a general problem with HT technology because the software runs normally on our test systems.

One user has reported that turning off Norton Antivirus solved the problem. We are using Norton Antivirus, too, and haven't experienced any problems.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I feel that this info needs to be in this sticky. :-)

* If your PC is RESTARTING During scanning...
    that is.. it just restarts..no messages nothing.
    * If your running Windows XP

The First thing to do,
    is to STOP windows XP from restarting without telling you anything.

(1) Click START>
    (2) Right-Click on MY Computer and Select Propertise.
    (4) Go to the Advanced Tab
    (5) Under Startup and Recovery section... Click the Settings Button.
    (6) Under the System Failure section.. UNcheck automaticly restart.
    (7) under write debugging information... small memory dump is fine for now.

O K Done...
    now Instead of your windows XP just restarting and not telling you didly..
    NOW You Will See a Blue Screen (aka: BSOD)
    with some technical information for you to see.
    and if your lucky.. the driver or file responsible for the crash will be listed.
    If no faulty driver or file is listed. You need to read the website below for more help and information to find out what's causing the crash.
    http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...sh.html?page=1 Pages 1 - 4 .

* If you've NEVER seen the inside of your PC, then YES, the fans are probably coated with clogs of dust. If it's dirty..Restarting may frequently happen when doing anything.. and not just when scanning with spybot.
    * Also MANY motherboards have BAD Capacitors...even new ones.
    Look at the capacitors... are any swoll up on the top? is brown stuff on the top? That's a sure sign of a bad cap. Replace all bad caps...and the pc will work great. For more information on mother boards with bad caps...
    Visit http://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php Very helpfull site...
    I've fixed two pc's with bad caps... now they work great... one would not even boot to the drive...then I knew it wasn't the drive... lol

If you've found this information helpfull..
    Please send one dollar to bla bla bla.. I'm just kidding...LOL

Default Rebooting and can't run spybot

opps, did it wrong sorry!
    Last edited by I_Need_help; 2007-05-12 at 23:07.

SpyBot freezes on my machine after a minute or two as well. I can run scans by BitDefender, AdAware and XoftSpy without a problem and can do other things when SpyBot hangs.

Any clues as to the problem?

Cheers

Same problem than redadare here. When running the analysis, it always freezes at the same point, when it reaches the point where it reads "(6029/64741: CoolWWWSearch)". This happens everytime even when not running any other program.

Having same problem. Started after I updated to 1.4. Thought it might have heated the first time, after I second time, I got suspicious. I ran a trendmicro scan and found malware which I cleaned. Now instead of crashing at about the 1/3 point it goes into standby and locks up. I think it's either the updated version or malware is stopping it. I did not uninstall before loading 1.4. Anyone think completely uninstalling and reinstalling might do the trick?

Travler- coolwwwsearch sounds like the coolweb malware. There is a removal tool at trendmirco.
    http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products...al/CWShredder/

I saw something similar to coolweb that did not belong in my start up and deleted myself. Later I ran the shredder above but it said it did not detect it. Wondering if I have remenants that the shredder does not now detect?

Default Spybot crashed at about 30%, SOLVED

On one of my machines Spybot (1.4) just crashed at about 30% . No error message, nothing in the logfiles.

Some research revealed that this happened when scanning for DyFuCa.InternetOptimizer. So I decided to skip this threat by putting a mark in front of it (in Malware.sbi). Now Spybot runs successfully until the very end.

Note: I am 100% sure that there are no traces of DyFuCa.InternetOptimizer on my machine.

karelV

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Spybot is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor.

Skeptical? If you doubt that this can be the cause of a shutdown during a Spybot scan, read the following:

Suggestions:
    1. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.
    2. For desktops (See Caution! below):
      • Consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not dusty or loose.
    3. For laptops (See Caution! below):
      • If your owner's manual tells you how to open the case, consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not dusty.
      • If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:
        • Mobile Pentium III-M
        • Mobile Pentium 4-M
        • Mobile Pentium 4
        • Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
        • Mobile AMD

Take a look at following suggestion by 100mill:

Caution!
    • Before open the case on any PC make sure that you read the owner's manual for that specific PC. This is extremely important not only for your well being due to electrical hazards but also for your PCs well being due to the possibility of static electricity discharges that can damage your PC.
    • If you are in the least bit hesitant about opening the case of your PC, please err on the side of caution and seek professional help.
    Allright - increasing the CPU fan to the maximum solves the problem. But I really wonder what´s going on. I never ever had this problem before. (All I changed the last days was a new (better) power supply unit.) And of course not everyone has fan, which can be increased manually. So is this a kind of a bug???

Default I am having the same problem

My Bosses system hangs at vaious points during a scan. It is never the same spot. Sometimes it goes 1/3 of the way, the next time 1/2, another time it will go 75%, then another time back to 25%.

I have unloaded and reloaded the program numerous times and would like to know what is the problem here and why this keeps occurring.

Thank you,

Rich Stabler

Quote Originally Posted by joeybback View Post
    Hi, it's my first time posting on this forum so be gentle. ;P I've never experienced a problem with Spybot S&D before and it's always been a reliable and essential part of my battle with the evil spyware, but recently whenever I 'Check for problems' my PC shuts down about 1/3 of the way into the scan.

I was wondering whether anyone else was having this problem or if it is just me, in which case any help would be appreciated.

I always try to keep my system clean and I'm 90% sure that I don't have any spyware on my system (but the fact that my PC crashes 1/3 of the way into a Spybot S&D scan has me slightly suspicious).

Thanks, Joey.