Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows cannot access the specified file

Default Windows cannot access the specified file

When I try to run Spybot S & D (with right click on the desktop icon and run as Administrator) I get the message: 'Windows cannot access the specified file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access this item.' The file concerned is SpybotSD.exe.
    After looking through the forum I tried running in diagnostic startup but I got the same message.
    I then uninstalled Spybot S & D and installed again (running the install as Administrator). The program installed and ran ok and I was able to update and do a full scan (no problems found). However, when I closed the program and then tried to run it again (by right clicking on the desktop icon and running as Administrator) I end up with the same message that windows cannot access the specified file...
    Interestingly I find that I can run the program by clicking on the teatimer icon (near the clock) but of course I cannot use the program properly because I am not running it as administrator.
    Can someone please advise how I can solve this problem? I use Vista Home and have AVG, Comodo firewall, Spyblaster and AdAware and my version of Spybot S & D is 1.6.2.46.

First,show Hidden Files and Folders,please:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial130.html

Then,go to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    Rightclick SpybotSD.exe.Click Properties.Under the General Tab,do you see this?
    "Security : This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."

Thanks for the reply. I have done as you suggest but the general tab does not show the warning you described. The file size is 5.11 MB.
    One interesting thing I have noticed is that the file was created on 23 April 2009 but was modified on 26 January 2009! The attributes show Read-only with a tick and Hidden with a greyed tick. I don't know if any of this helps?

One interesting thing I have noticed is that the file was created on 23 April 2009 but was modified on 26 January 2009!
    That's normal,mine is the same.
    The Read-only with a tick and Hidden with a greyed tick is normal,and the file size is,too.

Is Spybot the only app you've had this happen with when you rightclick and run as admin?

Could you rightclick the Spybot desktop icon,select Properties,then the Security tab.If it's not too much trouble,could you tell me what has checkmarks beside them in each section,i.e. when you click on System,does Full Control have a check beside it,etc.

Thanks again - and for confirming that the information I provided was 'normal'!

Yes, Spybot is the only app I have had this problem with.

On the Properties/Security there are three names (including SYSTEM). All three have ticks in the 'Allow' column for: Full control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read, Write. The Special permissions is blank. The 'Deny' column is blank too.

You're welcome.

On the Properties/Security there are three names (including SYSTEM). All three have ticks in the 'Allow' column for: Full control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read, Write. The Special permissions is blank. The 'Deny' column is blank too.
    Those are all as they should be,then.

I tried putting Spybot into compatibility mode for XP service pack 2,to see if I could gear up something you could use in the meantime,until I can see if I can come up with something better.
    However,when I put mine into compatibility mode,looks like Spybot can't open.
    You can try it with yours,though,and see what happens.
    Rightclick the Spybot desktop icon,select Properties,go to the compatibility tab.Put a checkmark beside Run this program in compatibility mode for:,then in the dropdown box select XP service pack 2,click apply and then OK.
    Reboot,and try opening Spybot.
    If it comes up that Spybot can't open,just go back into Properties->Compatibility tab,and remove the checkmark,click Apply and Ok.

In the meantime,I'll dig around and see what else I can come up with.

Oh,yes,almost forgot.You could rehide hidden files and folders if you wish.Probably don't need them unhidden,for now.
    Just reverse the changes you made here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial130.html

I had already put the hidden files etc back to 'normal'; but thanks for the reminder - better to be safe than sorry!
    I tried the XP SP2 compatability mode as you suggested but I am afraid I still get the same message 'Windows cannot access the specified file...' so I will await the results of your 'digging around'.
    Thanks very much for all your help so far and for sticking with the problem.

Good,glad you put the hidden files back.
    You're welcome.
    If you open Spybot from the desktop without rightclicking and running as admin,do you get the same message?

Also,this will sound strange,I know,but there's a method to my madness. Could you click the start menu,All Programs,click on Spybot-Search & Destroy folder icon to open it,then rightclick Spybot-Search & Destroy,select run as admin,and let me know if you get the same "windows cannot access the specified file' message.

Sorry for the delay - we were out all day yesterday.

I have tried the two suggestions you made and I get exactly the same message on both occasions as I got before, ie Windows cannot access the specified file.