Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: webwatcher removal using spybot s&d

[QUOTE=Matt;307462]WHAT ?? Why not? Can you please explain this? Which operating system do you use? I thought, that there's always the possibility to use passwords by following the path
    Start > control center > user account. Moreover, you can create an restricted account there.
    [QUOTE]

ill elaborate further . I go to a boarding school, and are given one laptop per room for personal/educational use. Each room houses 3 students and hence the laptop I currently use is also used by two others, one of which is the guy spying one me. I can't prevent him from using the laptop and he happens to be a senior, so spying back on him is NOT a good idea. I know the situation is complicated, and I pretty much need your help. Am gooing to do what you told me to asap, and then we'll hopefully see how we cn prevent this from happening again !
    Thanks again!

Hey guys,

I did what you all asked me to

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...506#post307506

After doing a bit of research, I came up with a few suggestions on how to prevent the infection from happening again. To prevent installation through internet or network, I plan to keep using tea timer and the immunize function. To prevent the installation when my roommate has physical access to this laptop, I read something about adding entries into the host file. If I can add the webwatcher entry to the host file, I assume it'll stop webwatcher from connecting to the internet and sending my data ( as far as I know that's how webwatcher works) .

Another idea I came up with to prevent physical installation is the use of a software than can keep track of when windows was logged on . This way i can know when he used the laptop, run a scan to see if webwatcher is re-installed, and then fix the problem myself.

I know am really troubling you guys, but we all have a stage where we are inexperienced and need lots of help from more experienced members. So please bear with me, and thanks a lot again

Quote Originally Posted by muzzabra View Post
    Hey guys,

I did what you all asked me to

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...506#post307506

That was a suggestion just to make sure, that you are really clean. If this laptop isn't your own, but for education, then I'm not sure, wheather a security expert will look into it. But let's see. Someone will answer definitively to you.
    Best regards - Beste Gre,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That was a suggestion just to make sure, that you are really clean. If this laptop isn't your own, but for education, then I'm not sure, wheather a security expert will look into it. But let's see. Someone will answer definitively to you.
    Dont worry Matt. I'm not violating any laws or terms of use with my laptop. We are given freedom for using the laptop for both personal and educational purposes, and as long as we return them safely at the end of high school, everything is fine, since the IT department will format them