Thread: Spot locks up PC-need help

Question Spot locks up PC-need help

I have been using an older version of Spybot and it was working okay. All of a sudden it started stalling and locking up the PC. I deleted the program and downloaded the newest version available at filehippo.com (2.0.6.131). It did the same thing. I have deleted my temp files and I have defragged. I don't know what to do with it anymore. Can someone help please.

Hello,

I am sorry, but if you really want to work with Spybot-S&D you should use the final version Spybot-S&D 1.6.2. The 2.0 Beta is for testing ONLY and is NOT a replacement for the stable version Spybot-S&D 1.6.2.

I would recommend to uninstall the 2.0 Beta and then make a fresh installation of Spybot-S&D 1.6.2.
    Therefore please choose the direct installation file.
    If you still encounter any problems please let us know if you get any error message, or at which point exactly the program hangs. Thanks.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Question I Need Help!

I had been running spybot for years with no problems.
    Then all of a sudden it would freeze up the PC when it ran.
    I cleared my temp files.
    I defraggled.
    I uninstalled it.
    Installed a Beta version. It messed up my entire PC.
    Settings were changed. I can't even remember all the havoc it caused. I uninstalled it and got everything back in working order.
    I haven't done anything with it for over a month now.
    Today I downloaded a different version (spybotsd162).
    I tried running it.
    The same thing! It stops running and locks up the entire PC and I have to reboot.

I have no idea what to do anymore.
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-01-13 at 05:17. Reason: Merged two topics

Hello,

Please disable all other security programs that you run and close all other programs during the work with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Also run a scan in safe mode. That should fix it.

It should also help to deactivate the scanning for usage tracks and Cookies.
    Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the navigation bar on the left. The check boxes in front of "Usage tracking, Beta.uti, NewTracks.uti and Tracks.uti" have to be unticked if you do not want to find usage tracks any more. For excluding Cookies from the search deactivate the check box in front of Cookies.sbi.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot