Thread: spybot/safer-networking.org has been disabled by...?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spybot/Updater/Safer-networking.org have been disabled by ?.rootkit

i just tried to download sp3 for office 2003 through windows update and it failed to initiate a download.

sensing a problem, i tried to run spybot, but i get a 'program has stopped working' error message immediately every time.

i tried to run the spybot updater through tea timer, which is running, but i get an 'error retrieving update info file' message.

next i tried reinstalling spybot from a saved installer file, but it fails to connect to the server.

finally i tried to access safer-networking.org directly, but get 'address not found'. i tried this in 5 different browsers on this pc with the same result.

malwarebytes is also unable to open and ad-aware is unable to update its definitions.

i've done the conficker eye chart and all the logos are loading.

i ran gmer and catchme, which are rootkit detectors and it appears there are 3 files that don't belong on my pc...

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\gxvxcqrdubjpklcdewxkdedjuiyiuccglaucx.sys 32768 bytes
    C:\Windows\System32\gxvxccounter 8 bytes
    C:\Windows\System32\gxvxcnwymfjijguoactpysmtdhusdllwvjgvu.dll 16384 bytes

i can't find these files at these locations in explorer even with hidden files and folders shown. i've read all the threads regarding loading and updating problems and nothing helps my situation. i searched google for this "gxvx" file and found nothing. i believe the 3 files i listed above are the source of a new problem yet to be resolved and i would very much appreciate any help in getting my spybot back online. thanks!
    Last edited by -R!CH-; 2009-04-26 at 05:57.