Thread: spybot/safer-networking.org has been disabled by...?

Default Spybot/Updater/Safer-networking.org have been disabled by ?.rootkit

i just tried to download sp3 for office 2003 through windows update and it failed to initiate a download.

sensing a problem, i tried to run spybot, but i get a 'program has stopped working' error message immediately every time.

i tried to run the spybot updater through tea timer, which is running, but i get an 'error retrieving update info file' message.

next i tried reinstalling spybot from a saved installer file, but it fails to connect to the server.

finally i tried to access safer-networking.org directly, but get 'address not found'. i tried this in 5 different browsers on this pc with the same result.

malwarebytes is also unable to open and ad-aware is unable to update its definitions.

i've done the conficker eye chart and all the logos are loading.

i ran gmer and catchme, which are rootkit detectors and it appears there are 3 files that don't belong on my pc...

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\gxvxcqrdubjpklcdewxkdedjuiyiuccglaucx.sys 32768 bytes
    C:\Windows\System32\gxvxccounter 8 bytes
    C:\Windows\System32\gxvxcnwymfjijguoactpysmtdhusdllwvjgvu.dll 16384 bytes

i can't find these files at these locations in explorer even with hidden files and folders shown. i've read all the threads regarding loading and updating problems and nothing helps my situation. i searched google for this "gxvx" file and found nothing. i believe the 3 files i listed above are the source of a new problem yet to be resolved and i would very much appreciate any help in getting my spybot back online. thanks!
    Last edited by -R!CH-; 2009-04-26 at 06:57.

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in this link to produce a HJT log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum where an analyst will advise you as soon as available.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016