Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help me Stop spybot from overiding my settings in folder options and scanning files

Angry help me Stop spybot from overiding my settings in folder options and scanning files

Since I upgraded my old win98 computer to version 1.6.2, Spybot is overriding my settings on certain filetypes and launching the automatic scanner instead of the program I want it to. I do NOT want Spybot to launch automatically. It takes at least a minute or two to run the scan, and I am very impatient. Especially for files I created myself or have had for years.

I ONLY want Spybot to scan a single file when I right click on it and tell it to do so from the context menu. How do I configure Spybot to NEVER automatically scan a file, but only do so when I explicitly tell it to from the context menu? In short, it should NOT be launching when I double click on a file, only when I right-click and choose "Scan with spybot search & destroy".

I apologize if this has been posted before, but the search feature on the forum doesn't seem to be working. I keep getting the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /arrayx/www/forums/search.php on line 1155

Thus, I can't search for previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by slickrcbd
    it should NOT be launching when I double click on a file, only when I right-click and choose "Scan with spybot search & destroy".
    This is a problem with extensions which don't have any association like .DLL and .SYS. I'm not sure how to fix it. However, I only have a suggest and replacment idea: Instead of HKCR\*\Shell\sdfiles\, "sdfiles" should be redirected to HKCR\*\shellex. However, it needs CLSID and some changes to make it work. I've tried to
    look at other shellex paths to see how it should go, but it's hard.

Quote Originally Posted by slickrcbd
    I apologize if this has been posted before, but the search feature on the forum doesn't seem to be working. I keep getting the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /arrayx/www/forums/search.php on line 1155

Thus, I can't search for previous posts.
    This happends if you look for something which has too many results, for example, if you enter "windows" (no quotes), you'll get same error.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    This is a problem with extensions which don't have any association like .DLL and .SYS. I'm not sure how to fix it. However, I only have a suggest and replacment idea: Instead of HKCR\*\Shell\sdfiles\, "sdfiles" should be redirected to HKCR\*\shellex. However, it needs CLSID and some changes to make it work. I've tried to
    look at other shellex paths to see how it should go, but it's hard.

This happends if you look for something which has too many results, for example, if you enter "windows" (no quotes), you'll get same error.
    I'm afraid I don't understand anything you wrote after "I'm not sure how to fix it". It looks like you tried to edit the post and cut out some vital information as what follows doesn't make any sense. Could you repost it in words somebody with only an A+ and Network+ certification but without a strong background in Spybot's internal workings can understand?

What I want is to turn off that automatic scanning completely. I only want it to scan a single file when I tell it to do so by right clicking on it like it did in the old version. If I have to dig out my backup CD where I saved the old version, so be it. Spybot should NOT automatically scan a file when I try to open an Infinity Engine .SPL file, it should launch TeamBG's Spellmaker. According to the file types tab under folder options in Windows, it is properly defined to do so. It did so before I "upgraded" Spybot with the "Important" patch.

There were at least two other file types that it was doing this for last night, but I can't recall which ones exactly. It shouldn't matter, because it shouldn't be doing this at all. I want the "feature" turned off so that Spybot only scans a file when I right click on it and choose "Scan using Spybot-Search and Destroy", NEVER automatically, and it certainly shouldn't override the settings to launch a program I specified myself in Windows. I don't have a clue how to tell Spybot that, and I really don't want to have to enter the info in twice.
    Last edited by slickrcbd; 2009-05-03 at 04:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 Voltage
    Actually, the final 1.6 code is now using an executable (SDFiles.exe) which gives us a nice stand-alone interface instead of the previous method which required manually registering SDFiles.dll and only worked within the file/folder properties tabs.

So no DLL's to unregister. AFAIK, the only thing you need to do to remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu entry is to remove the associated Registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdfiles

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\sdfiles

At least that worked when I tried it.

I've attached a ZIP file with two REG files you can merge to turn it on and off easily. Don't even need to reboot when doing either.

Just be aware that the "Enable" file assumes you installed to "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" - so if you didn't, you'll need to modify it accordingly. The "Disable" file doesn't care.
    From this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30678
    Post wtih attachment: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...98&postcount=9

According to the thread, that will remove the context menu. That is NOT what I want to do. I WANT the context menu.
    I do NOT want SpyBot to scan files UNLESS I use the context menu. It should NEVER scan a file simply by double-clicking on it.

How do I do that? I'm sorry, I don't know how to make this more clear. I do not want to scan files by double clicking on them. I want to be able to scan newly downloaded files by right flicking on them, but if I double-click on them, I want them to open normally. Spybot should never override my settings in Folder Options to run it's stupid scan when I double-click on a file.

Well, to tell you the truth the scanner is not perfect and your optimal situation is unlikely.

We can probably blame the Windows OS because for some files it cannot open (it does not recognize the program that opens with the file), it'll use the 'nearest' function that is next to "Open". If you get my point, then it means if you have a .pdf file for example and Acrobat Reader is not installed, Windows will either prompt you to choose a program from a list and execute the file using that associated program or it'll use something else in the Windows Explorer shell extension.

Last edited by drragostea; 2009-05-06 at 07:46.

That's exactly what it did before I upgraded. I want it to do that once again.

It could be possible that Spybot's Explorer Shell Scanner overrode the default associative program option. I guess you can always manually right click on the file>Open with... and find the program and tick "Always open this file with this program" (or words similar to that). So now if you have a .pdf file for example (with Acrobat Reader installed) and the Spybot scanner kept opening before it shouldn't, Acrobat Reader will open.

Angry

Damn thing even overrode my choice when I shift-clicked and selected "open with"!?!

I'm not joking. It actually scanned the file after I selected "open with" instead of opening the application in question.

Any suggestions on another anit-spyware program that still supports Windows 98? I'm going to uninstall Spybot if I can't turn off this "feature" of automatically scanning a file when I double-click on it in Windows Explorer.

I don't understand why turning off this blasted automatic scanning isn't an easy-to-find configuration option. That's all I'm asking for. I'm also extremely annoyed and frustrated at this "screwupgrade" to version 1.6.2. It's certainly not an upgrade from my point of view.

Thumbs down

Ok, I reverted back to version 1.6.0. That has fixed some of the problems. However, whenever I double-click on an Infinity Engine spell file (.SPL) SpyBot opens and scans the file. It also scans unknown files. The older version I was using didn't do that, but instead presented me with a list of things to open.

I've tried shift-right clicking on the .spl file and doing "open with", but regardless of what I choose, SPybot scans the file instead of Windows opening the program I choose. This is very frustrating, as I'm working on a mod for BG2 and don't want to install it on my new computer when it runs just fine on my old computer.

While I do want to be able to right-click to scan a file, I want this "feature" of overriding my settings for the open command in folder options gone. What older version do I need to find to remove the auto-scanning completely?