Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: help me Stop spybot from overiding my settings in folder options and scanning files

Ok, I do know how to define a file association. I looked at some of the latest links, and somebody suggested that it was the fact that "scan" as the first option in the context menu and in boldface. The solution described was to remove and reinstall. I would have assUmeED when I reverted to the older version of 1.6.0 that would have counted, but I'll try downloading a new installer and reinstalling again.

Here's a link to a collection of some screenshots on Flickr that should illustrate the situation as well as show my modest expertise at Windows 98 file associations. Read the descriptions as I was unable to get the mouse pointer to show up with the print screen button, unlike on my ancient PowerMac with CMD-SHIFT-3.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1073601...266884/detail/

I have never set up a "set" of photos on Flickr before, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong URL, or one only accessible to the uploader. If it is, just find the photos with the tag "spybot" for the user "slickrcbd". I've used Flickr with forums before, but usually just only post one or two screenshots if I'm having a problem with a URL directly to the pic.

Quoted from 129260 #10 added link

Well if he uninstalls..........
    spybot, it will remove the scanner from the right click menu along with the spybot program. When he reinstalls spybot, the right click menu scanner should be in the right place hopefully. Usually when i experienced this problem with 98, if i reinstalled whatever program caused it, it then worked correctly.
    It is a bug. In other words, there is no warranty that it works. This is your second attempt of uninstall and reinstall. The third one could work or maybe not. It could make it better or it could make it worse.And we still don't know what is really written in the registry.

It seems nobody like to read my posted article. Did you already tried to uninstall and reinstall InfinityEingineEditorPro like suggested in the article? As you already know it, uninstall and reinstall won't fix the problem with unknown file types unless it is fixed and works like Norton or AVG.

By the way, BG2 is a really nice game.

PS: You have a PM.

Lightbulb That was not my only suggestion...

Did you also read the other solutions I linked to? Did you read any of the thread I linked to? I would like to know if the orginal poster tried to do all the items I have suggeted. If the solutions I offered so far did not work for the orginal poster, I can offer more suggestions.

I apologize for taking so long, my mother was released from the hospital a couple weeks ago and needs assistance from time to time while she's rebuilding here stamina. I haven't had time to work on this.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice, the second time with a restart in between the uninstall & reinstall. It doesn't help, and the first uninstall only made the problem worse, as Excel spreadsheets were being scanned instead of opened with Open Office Calc.

I'm already tried hitting the "set as default" button. Repeatedly while checking the file type association in Folder Options. The thing that gets me is that "set as default" is the ONLY thing listed for the .SPL files.

I've been looking at the proposal to disable right-click scanning. I admit that while I have done some registry editing, I consider myself a novice at such things. It also has been a while since I've had to do any Windows 9X hacking/tweaking. In my limited knowledge, I'd like to ask something before I attempt it as I know first-hand how dangerous messing with the registry can be.

According to the removal instructions, I need to delete two entries

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sdfiles
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\sdfiles

Correct me if my sketchy memory and limited knowledge of the registry is wrong, but does the first one make the "scan" option appear on files only and the second one only on folders? Can I delete only the first one to disable the unwanted scanning of files, but still allow me to right-click on a folder and scan one folder at a time? That might be an acceptable compromise provided it doesn't decide to start scanning a folder in Windows Explorer instead of opening it.

I'm considering this because I'm at the point where I say "I give up" and just disable the right-click scanning altogether. If what I'm proposing will work the way I think it does, it's a compromise I'll just have to accept. It's better than nothing, which is what I'm read to settle for.

Just in case I was too abstract, I'm proposing to ONLY delete the
    key and leave the other key intact.
    Last edited by slickrcbd; 2009-05-18 at 02:29.

You are right.

This is context menu option for the files.(* means that it should appear for all the files)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\sdfiles
    And this is for the context menu for the folders.

I'm not sure but there seems to be one more for scanning the files.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\Shell\sdfiles]
    Can you verify this?

I hope your mother get well soon!

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    You are right.

This is context menu option for the files.(* means that it should appear for all the files)

And this is for the context menu for the folders.

I'm not sure but there seems to be one more for scanning the files.

Can you verify this?

I hope your mother get well soon!
    This is odd, and something I didn't know was possible. That appears at first glance to be the case, but when I deleted the first key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and went back to look for the second key, it was gone.

As for mom, thanks. She's been out of danger for a while, but she's weak and doesn't have the stamina to do things like yardwork or cleaning the huge porch of all the winter dirt. Here I thought I was done with those chores when I moved to an apartment.